Lakes Hills Creek Reservoir Fishing Reports

Troutski
Troutski
I couldn't stay home today and waste the beautiful weather....so back to Hills Creek Reservoir I went, this time camera in hand. The water was 41 degrees at the ramp, and just got warmer as the day flew by. Just to start the morning off right away we hadn't gotten 40 yards from the ramp and the first fish was on the line......now this is how it should be all the time. A nice Chinook on a Lil Cleo spoon long lining......Oh yea !! Trolled all the way to the back of the res. with out another hit or fish..... found a nice deep hole with some fish holding in it and anchored up within casting distance and through out a bobber with a tasty night crawler attached and right away - bobber down, my first Rainbow of the new year at this lake...!!

I am thinking this is going to be a great day, I can't miss.. I never should have said that. Caught one more fish and that was it, that will teach me. We landed 6 fish between the two of us, three apiece. Not a poor day the weather was wonderful, no wind and most of all NO RAIN. The water was in pretty good shape, a lot of floating debris and the color is a bit off. The snow is starting to melt and the lake is raising quite fast. Heck, no one got hurt and we both caught fish. Spring is springing right along. Have a few pictures of the day and one fish picture, keep in mind that my net is 44" across(just kidding) so the fish is real big... Tight lines and keep fishing.

Chuck

hills-creek-reservoir.jpg

hills-creek-reservoir2.jpg

Admin
Admin
Good job, nice pictures!

M
Mokai
That looks like a great day on the water. Sure is nice to have a break from the rain and cold huh. Nice pics and nice report as usual.

Troutski
Troutski
We launched the boat at sunrise...cloud cover !!!:dance: water temp was 73 degrees and pretty clean. Not much algae left, and we started trolling right OFF the ramp and not a hit, fish on the screen from 6 feet to 140 and not a taker. Zipped to the back of the lake and did some shallow water trolling and picked up a 20 incher, not bad for the first fish of the day.

We spent all day fishing the back of the lake, bobber fishing along with tossing most of the tackle box. Picked up quite a few nice Cut-Bows, tried for some Bass but couldn't keep them on, the sticks were murder on the lures. Looks like I will be at Bi-Mart tomorrow, lost my favorite lure to a broken line....a screamer fish, must have had a nick in the line - wasn't me, really it was the line !!!

Great day, we both caught enough fish to get very sore arms and a case of LURE BACK, hunched over waiting for the strike and by the time you realize it your in the shape of a question mark...anyway the clouds cooled the water down quite a bit and there was a wind out of the north most of the day. We had at least 3 double slams with 17 inchers, love those line rippers. Here are a few pictures, hope you enjoy them as much as I did catching them.

Chuck

hills-creek-reservoir.jpghills-creek-reservoir2.jpghills-creek-reservoir3.jpghills-creek-reservoir4.jpg

D
Dichrofisher
Very nice! Great report and I am glad to see that the fish are responding. It almost makes it hard to decide where to go next.

O
Osprey
Nice fish, I wouldn't even mind catching a few of those!;)

M
Mokai
Those are some sweet looking Hawg's..I think that qualifies as a good day..Nice to see some pics from you again..

B
Bassman
has any one been fishing at hills creek lake

4labs
4labs
Getting my boat out of the shop next week and went looking for some place to run it.
Dexter is almost full with docks in place
Fall Creek can't even see the water from the road
Lookout almost Empty
Cottage grove you can launch but almost in the mud
Hills creek didn't go that far but water level graph says its almost as bad as fall creek
Guys are launching at Green Peter
Ben Irving ramp is good and water level rising
Will fish dexter soon.
Fishing off the bank at hills creek might be good just a long hike.

Troutski
Troutski
I agree with 4labs bank angling at Hills Creek can be amazing. There are quite a few places to wet a line, I would drive all the way to the back where the Middle Fork enters the res. Find a spot that is not in moving water and do bring something to sit on, the mud is horrible this time of the year.
I toss spoons and spinners to rising fish and when the sun rises over the hills start bottom or bobber angling for great results. I use a nightcrawler with a mini mellow about 16" off the bottom. I see others using power-bait and cheese. Hope you have a banner day on the water...

Chuck

B
Bassman
fishing is great at the lake hills creek is real good lots of large fish being caught i been fishing my self been catching lots of fish packard creek is good with power bait ok off to wet a line and catch my limit

4labs
4labs
Please let us know when you can launch up there

B
Bassman
yes you can launch a Small boat at Packard boat ramp good fishing and trolling time used wedding ring and ford fenders mpr 1.2

Troutski
Troutski
Any one been up there lately ?
Pawned one of my older kids and bought my license ?... ready to break in my lic...

B
Bassman
I been fishing at Packard cove and catching a few big rainbow 16 maybe 17 inches long but is it real cold and they are still biting good..

Reactions: Troutski
B
Bassman
ibeen fisihing but not have any luck catching them

B
Bassman
Hey I went fishing at hills creek lake today.. it was very cold but dry .. the fishing was great lots of bites the fish was size between 12'' to 17' inch long the good old power bait was a good a bait to use the lake is producing lots of fish ok back to fishing

Reactions: Troutski, 4labs, Admin and 3 others
4labs
4labs
Great to hear.
Were there any boats out trolling and did you happen to see the ramp?
According to the graph it shows to be almost empty .
Plants start next month at Dorena,CG ,Dexter and Hills.
Should be fun. I'll hit the shore line soon.

B
Bassman
just a great day catching big rain bow trout in hill creek a little wet but very good and productive day

Reactions: troutdude
Troutski
Troutski
Sweet.. keep it up..

Chuck

Top Bottom