Catfish fishing around Eugene

F
FishKiller23
i'd like to go as well any one know a real good spot in portland area?

M
Mustangdan23
I know when I was young they used to catch channel cats out of Fern Ridge int eh channel right my West 11th. You might try throwing a work of the dock there if its still available. We catch brown bullheads down on the umpqua all night long with just a couple weights and a piece of worm. I hear chicken liver and crappie or bluegill meat works great.

B
Boywhofishes
:Dthank you guys very much for all of the advice, i hope that it comes in handy

i will get out to fern ridge soon to go after some cats, what about the wierd little side ponds off of fern ridge?:lol:

F
Fishtopher
I fish the heck out of Will. Park in west linn at night for channel cats. ive only caught two outta there but ive caught hundreds of bullheads!!
Chicken liver tied on with stretchy string KILLS em!

B
Boywhofishes
alright, i'll have to give it a shot in my neck of the woods:lol:

O
orange2mod
On Fri. after fighting the salmon fishing on the Columbia we went up Multnomah channel near Santosh to try for a sturgeon. My 6 yr. old nephew brought up a 15" channel cat using a whole smelt. We switched over to a smaller hook and a cut piece of smelt and he brings in a nice 3 pounder. We also caught a few shaker sturgeon on the smaller hooks and cut pieces of smelt. The kid had a great time and I was reminded of my Sacramento river fishing days as a kid. I think we will bring out the trout rods and give her a try again.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Way to teach 'em...

Way to teach 'em...

orange2mod said:
On Fri. after fighting the salmon fishing on the Columbia we went up Multnomah channel near Santosh to try for a sturgeon. My 6 yr. old nephew brought up a 15" channel cat using a whole smelt. We switched over to a smaller hook and a cut piece of smelt and he brings in a nice 3 pounder. We also caught a few shaker sturgeon on the smaller hooks and cut pieces of smelt. The kid had a great time and I was reminded of my Sacramento river fishing days as a kid. I think we will bring out the trout rods and give her a try again.

Geez, sounds like a great way to finish off a day. :D It's when I read posts like yours that I want to fish full time,all day,every day. I love watching kids' faces light up when they are reeling in a "catch of the day". :D Makes it all worth it,eh? Way to teach them to love the sport! :clap:
Barb

O
osmosis
I bet you'll pull out the trout rods and hook an oversize!

O
orange2mod
I'm kinda hoping so. Wow, what a thrill. Years ago, I went to Cal. to visit and had my steelhead rod in the truck. A buddy of mine wanted to go fish off the bank so I bought some anchovies and tied them on like a smelt and caught a 55 incher. It took quite a while (17# line) to get it in but had bragging rights for a while.

F
Fishtopher
orange2mod said:
I'm kinda hoping so. Wow, what a thrill. Years ago, I went to Cal. to visit and had my steelhead rod in the truck. A buddy of mine wanted to go fish off the bank so I bought some anchovies and tied them on like a smelt and caught a 55 incher. It took quite a while (17# line) to get it in but had bragging rights for a while.

:shock: a 55 incher, on anything less than 25#...Id say you still have braggin rights...:clap:

F
FishSchooler
Fishtopher, you said that you kill the cats at will park, do you C&R or keep them? Cats are real good for eating, but willamette is kinda... dirty... or you just catch em for the fight/ the sensation of catching? :D You just bottom fish right? Any other good baits besides chicken liver(cause I hate raw stuff like that cause it smelly and gooey)? Thanks

p.s. do they bite in the day?

M
Mustangdan23
Just my experience fishing on the Umpqua for cats. They will eat worms well which is all we ever use, and I doubt you can get them to bite during the day only dusk and dark.

F
Fishtopher
FishSchooler said:
Fishtopher, you said that you kill the cats at will park, do you C&R or keep them? Cats are real good for eating, but willamette is kinda... dirty... or you just catch em for the fight/ the sensation of catching? :D You just bottom fish right? Any other good baits besides chicken liver(cause I hate raw stuff like that cause it smelly and gooey)? Thanks

p.s. do they bite in the day?

:naughty:At Willamette Park, or anywhere on the WHOLE river, I will not keep a catfish as they are resident fish and spend their whole lives in that "kinda...dirty" water. I will keep catfish caught outta the Columbia, and the Snake rivers.
Bobber and/or worm fishing works well at night as that is when most species of catfish feed/hunt. I think white catfish are the only species that doesn't feed at night. In the daytime usually you need something with a good scent trail to get the fish stimulated enough to feed. Ive never, ever caught catfish in the daytime on worm. I know it has been done though!

p.s. i dont really KILL the catfish, well, a lot do swallow the hook, but when i say kill it means i catch alotta fish!:cool:

F
FishSchooler
I know that "kill" isn't really killing... :D Ha ha, I like how you made the dirty water brown. :lol: The oregon state white cat record actually did come out of the tualatin... :cool: Im headed to cook park next week on wednesday cause theres a company picnic that mom's goin to, Im makin it a worth while. :D See ya there! :D

B
Boywhofishes
wow, state record came out of the Tualitin?... i'll have to bring my rod next time i visit my gramma up there, man... :lol:

F
FishSchooler
Ye, white cats near in the mouth of the river. Good luck!

B
Boywhofishes
thanks... i'll pm you next time i'm going up to oswego

F
FishSchooler
mmk, i'll be waitin. :D

B
Boywhofishes
alright, is it any good around thanks-giving or christmas?

F
FishSchooler
I dont know about the cats cause I havent fished for em before, but some of the bass wil be active around that novemberish time. I almost got my first decent one last week from cook park, came off the hook when it jumped... :mad: Anyway, ask fishtopher about the cats.