Anchor rope question

EOBOY
EOBOY
Ben and I have the need for a new anchor rope, the old one is really to big. Is a 3/8" truckers rope with tinsel strength of 2,400 lbs. big enough for our 16' drift boat?

EOBOY

Reactions: rogerdodger
Casting Call
Casting Call
OK! so the old rope is going away soon? 3/8" is a good size get a multiple strand braided rope rated at 16,000 lb working load make sure you get enough rope to launch and hold when doing a slide and at "least" five times the depth of the waters to be used in river current. GL Tony

EOBOY
EOBOY
Casting Call said:
OK! so the old rope is going away soon? 3/8" is a good size get a multiple strand braided rope rated at 16,000 lb working load make sure you get enough rope to launch and hold when doing a slide and at "least" five times the depth of the waters to be used in river current. GL Tony

CC:

Yes very soon! It's the size of a sausage, and 30ft. long. 16,000 wow, OK I guess the 2,400 is a bit shy. I've tried calling Fishermans all day but their phones don't seem to be working. Can't go fishing till I solve this. Yesterday the anchor was a real problem. Thank you so much, I could have really messed that up. Some day but not soon we will tackle a slide.

Dana

D
DirectDrive
Trucker's rope is JUNK ROPE for your purpose.
It's cheap and works for tying down loads but that's about it.

The problems you'll have is that it's hard on your hands.
In DB service you get intimately involved with your rope.
Your hands will let you know what I mean.
And this crap does not "lay down" (when it's gathered in) and behave like a quality rope will.
If you're on on a budget, you're stuck with it sometimes.
Oh, and doesn't tie knots worth a damn.

The best rope for DB service, IMO, is "Solid Braid Nylon" in 7/16" diameter.
1/2" is too much.
7/16" is perfect for the pulleys and jam cleats found on DBs.
Solid Braid is easy on the hands.

Beware of "fraudulent" solid braid.
It looks like solid braid on the outside, but has a cheesy polyester core.
There is lots of this crap around, beware.

The other rope type to consider is "Diamond Braid".
It's even nicer than solid braid but will cost more.

Bottom line is this..... 60' of rope for a DB is not that much length to purchase.
There is no need to skimp on DB rope unless you are poor.
And if you're poor, you probably don't have a DB anyway.

EOBOY
EOBOY
I want the best don't have time for junk. Where is the best place to find it? I was bummed this morning knowing I don't want to go (which I did this morning) until we have a good rope.

Thanks again for the info.

Dana

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

D
DirectDrive
EOBOY said:
I want the best don't have time for junk. Where is the best place to find it? I was bummed this morning knowing I don't want to go (which I did this morning) until we have a good rope.

Thanks again for the info.

Dana

You can find rope at lots of different places.
Sporting Goods
Big Box stores
Hardware stores
Rigging Supply stores

Just call ahead and tell them what you want.

Keep in mind that 50' - 60' is typical for ANCHOR ROPE on a DB.
I like 25' for a BOW LINE rope.

For a rope for a slide....depends on the length of the slide(s) that you use.

Tech Tip:
If using a *JAM CLEAT, never rip straight up to release.
This will tear up your rope.
Instead PULL BACK to release the rope from the jam cleat.

*jam cleat
This is a quick release fitting that is used to restrain the anchor rope without having to tie a knot.
Sometimes these are erroneously called "clam cleats".

They don't "clam".
They "jam" the rope.

Last edited:
EOBOY
EOBOY
OK I will go get it tomorrow. I want to wish you all a happy new year. I look forward to another year meeting knew OFFERS and learning more about this sport we all love.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
EOBOY said:
I want to wish you all a happy new year. I look forward to another year meeting knew OFFERS and learning more about this sport we all love.

cheers to that! I'm hoping to meet and fish with many more OFFers in 2016...roger

Casting Call
Casting Call
Try R.E.I. most of theire rope is for human safety rope about $1.00 to $1.50 foot and over 16K rateing as DD said watch out for cheesy braided "polypropene" that is sold at most sporting goods stores if you want a good diamond braid or blue steel rope(used for towing) go on line for Samsons ropes if you buy the latter of the two you will never have to buy another DB anchor rope in its lifetime GL Tony