Echo Shadow II, nymphs, help

U
upstate88
I purchased a shadow II (10' #3) last summer with the hopes of doing a bunch of nymph fishing and had really lousy luck. I had a decent reel and and the local shop put some good line they recommended on there and I thought I would love it. I did not do well nymph fishing and kept defaulting back to dries. I am trying to self teach and hitting a real point of frustration. I am considering trying to trade the rod for a 9' #4/#5. I have two questions for the folks out there with more experience than myself. I am in the Mt. Hood area and fish the small streams here a lot and also love getting down to the dechutes if that helps.

I have two questions for the folks out there with more experience than myself.

1. do I trade the rod (do people want a used rod)?

2. if i stay with it are there some places/people that can help me be a bit more successful?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Well - you bought a specialized tool rather than a generalized tool.

The Shadow series rods are designed for european nymphing - not long line indicator nymphing. Euro nymphing focuses usually on water within 20 feet of you - no fly line off the reel. Long loooong level leaders, and a "team" of 3 flies, usually simple, heavy bodied flies to get down without the need for split shot on the line. You flip your cast upstream and lead the flies slightly, keeping them on the bottom without dragging them upward, and methodically fish the water. It's as much about stealthily wading and positioning yourself as it is about the flies. The long, light rod is to both give you reach and to cushion the lighter line they employ to help get the flies down. Their indicators are usually just a brightly colored segment of leader butt. More often than not though, when tight line nymphing you will feel the take.

That rod should cast alright too - but depending on where you are fishing - you might find the longer rod a hindrance as far as the tip getting into the trees, etc. Long rods are great when you have low brush/grass behind you - but they suck if your back is to trees and tall overhanging stuff. Short rods excel for that.

Or you can avoid back cast problems by using roll casts / single hand spey casting. I almost never aerialize my casts anymore unless I'm fishing dry flies. I don't fish dry flies with my switch rods much either.

I wouldn't sell that rod - I would save cash and buy another rod - one more suitable for dry fly fishing. And I wouldn't get locked into the idea of a 9 foot rod - if you're fishing brushy bushy areas, even a 9 footer can be a pain the arse. My arsenal is moving toward the more extreme ends of the rod length spectrum - I've got long switch & light spey rods for nymphing, and fishing wet flies and streamers. For smaller water, or fishing dries, I have shorter single hander rods. The only 9 footer in my quiver right now is my 7 weight, and it only gets used for specific waters/fishing techniques. I do a lot of small stream fishing and hate 9 footers for most of it. On bigger waters it's not a problem, but then I like the longer reach and easier mending the longer rods give for that.

Your lack of luck can easily be chalked up to inexperience and maybe being sold on the rod for general use when it was much more a specific tool. You can adapt, of course, and that rod can be used for indicator fishing. Downsized indicators, and lighter flies, fished on lighter tippets to help get them down in the currents and you can indi nymph with them.

here's some good youtube vids on how you may better use your current rod. One is for Tenkara rods - but honestly Tenkara fishing, especially nymphing, is very similar to what you're going to be doing mostly with that rod, only you have a reel in case the fish runs or you need to lengthen or shorten your casts.

I typically only use 2 flies - 3 flies tangle too much. Tungsten bead heads and mostly caddis imitations, varying colors more than anything else to see what the fish like. Olive bodied caddis are my go to. Then browns, blacks, reds, and peacock herl bodied flies are good. Mix & match.

Hooking up with someone on here who can show you the ropes wouldn't hurt either.

Reactions: rogerdodger
GungasUncle
GungasUncle

U
upstate88
Thats a lot to think about thanks for the help. going to take my time and read through it and watch the videos. THANKS AGAIN

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
upstate88 said:
Thats a lot to think about thanks for the help. going to take my time and read through it and watch the videos. THANKS AGAIN

No problemo. Feel free to PM me if you're needing more specific help. Seems the forum is a bit slow lately - but it sometimes gets that way around the holidays.

U
upstate88
Thanks I really like the smaller streams by my house and just like you said the longer rod spent its fair share in the trees. I am right at the bottom of Mt. hood so may-oct I can wet wade and toss some dries and that keeps me really busy. The streams and fish are not huge but its fun and close to the house plus whenever you get anything 8inches or bigger its a big deal (to me).

I am going to get into spinning a bit more (steelhead, trout in the lakes, kokanee, and trips to the coast) + the fly fishing by the house and the desuctes I figure thats a fish 10 months a year or better.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
If you're doing a lot of small stream fishing, I would consider a rod of about 7-7'6" - most of those little streams have a lot of overhanging tree limbs - and even when crouching down, a rod of even 9 feet will be wacking tree limbs. Short rods shine on small streams - you're not making 50-60 foot casts on that water - the small streams I fish a 20' cast is average and 30 feet is really long. Also - you don't need to do a lot of mending like a long rod helps with because drifts are usually short. I'm not sure what your price range is - but a decent little rod for that water would be something like a 3 or 4 weight - the Echo Solo is one of their entry level rods - around $100 or so for the rod - and comes in a 7'6" 3 weight flavor. The Redington Classic Trout is another great rod in similar price range, and has a 7'6" 3 weight flavor. For a more modest budget - the Cabela's Three Forks line has a 7'6" 3 weight that runs $30 on sale, $50 regular price. GREAT rods for the money. Not as nice as the CT, or the Echo, but you can buy 2 or 3 for the price and the Three Forks 3 weight is a great little fishing rod. Another small rod would be the Wright & McGill S-Curve - you can find those in 7'6" 3 or 4 weight flavor. The 3 weight rods are plenty big for small streams and about perfectly matched to those 6-8 inch fish you'll find regularly.

U
upstate88
My wife had a 8'6 #4 echo that we have really liked. Echo makes good stuff for a really fair price.

P
Paul Smith
I have a two 9' 4wts, Winston LTX, TFO Lefty Kreigh, and that I would sell at a reasonable price, also have a 9' 5wt TFO Lefty Kreigh I would part with reasonably, let me know if you are interested. All 3 are in really good shape with reels/lines if needed or without. I just don't trout fish much anymore.

U
upstate88
Paul Smith said:
I have a two 9' 4wts, Winston LTX, TFO Lefty Kreigh, and that I would sell at a reasonable price, also have a 9' 5wt TFO Lefty Kreigh I would part with reasonably, let me know if you are interested. All 3 are in really good shape with reels/lines if needed or without. I just don't trout fish much anymore.

I sent you a private message I am interested in the 4wts.

Echskech
Echskech
upstate88 said:
I purchased a shadow II (10' #3) last summer with the hopes of doing a bunch of nymph fishing and had really lousy luck. I had a decent reel and and the local shop put some good line they recommended on there and I thought I would love it. I did not do well nymph fishing and kept defaulting back to dries. I am trying to self teach and hitting a real point of frustration. I am considering trying to trade the rod for a 9' #4/#5. I have two questions for the folks out there with more experience than myself. I am in the Mt. Hood area and fish the small streams here a lot and also love getting down to the dechutes if that helps.

I have two questions for the folks out there with more experience than myself.

1. do I trade the rod (do people want a used rod)?

2. if i stay with it are there some places/people that can help me be a bit more successful?
Did you ever sell off that rod or were you able to turn your luck around? If its still on the market after all these years, I'm looking for an entry-level euro rod.