Wader questions

I
imfishing
Yevhen Savchenko's Ghost

Yevhen Savchenko's Ghost

Greetings All.

My Prayers Still Go Out To The Savchenko Family.

I Would Not Where Hip Boots At All.

They Don't Call them Leg Ankers For Nothing.

Rest In Piece Yevhen.

I Fished Next To This Man And His Boy 5 Days Before The Accident On 11.1.09.

I Still Have a Little Guilt That I Didn't Bring UP The Danger Of Their Boots Then.:(

Check It Out...

http://www.katu.com/news/local/68417727.html

I Hijacked This Thread In The Interest Of Safety.

PEACE -

H
hookbait
Wow, did realize that would spark so many posts, but I'm glad it did. In the opinion of the group is the danger in hip boots that they do not have a belting mechanism to slowdown filling up with water? If so would belted waist waders be safer?

S
salmon_slayer87
hookbait said:
Wow, did realize that would spark so many posts, but I'm glad it did. In the opinion of the group is the danger in hip boots that they do not have a belting mechanism to slowdown filling up with water? If so would belted waist waders be safer?

The biggest danger with hip boots are the fact they only go to your hips. Yes, a belt mechanism would be nice. the reason most fishermen/women dont like them is that if you are wading through the water and slip, you lose all control to your legs. Due to the water weighing you down. If your in a strong current..you could be swept away.
I hope this helps,
Dale

V
veilside180sx
salmon_slayer87 said:
The biggest danger with hip boots are the fact they only go to your hips. Yes, a belt mechanism would be nice. the reason most fishermen/women dont like them is that if you are wading through the water and slip, you lose all control to your legs. Due to the water weighing you down. If your in a strong current..you could be swept away.
I hope this helps,
Dale

If you must wear hip waders, please buy a life vest then. I think they are smart to wear for most wading purposes.

S
salmon_slayer87
veilside180sx said:
If you must wear hip waders, please buy a life vest then. I think they are smart to wear for most wading purposes.

I use to wear hip boots, I have recently changed to Chest waders. Even when i had my hip boots..i only used them in certain types of water. never in a fast current or water deeper then my knee. just a safe practice,

Dale

H
hookbait
salmon_slayer87 said:
Even when i had my hip boots..i only used them in certain types of water. never in a fast current or water deeper then my knee. just a safe practice,

Dale

I remember reading somewhere that this was the argument for getting hip boots to begin with. To keep from getting tempted to get in water higher than your knees. Ofcourse, that doesn't address the step in a hole issue.

S
salmon_slayer87
hookbait said:
I remember reading somewhere that this was the argument for getting hip boots to begin with. To keep from getting tempted to get in water higher than your knees. Ofcourse, that doesn't address the step in a hole issue.

well the best thing to do is stick with water you can see into. hip waders can be useful in the right conditions...but they are not for everyone.
Good luck,
Dale

H
hunt-fish-trap
I wear hip boots in the boat only or when hiking in the muck to get to water. but this year I plan on getting either wading pants or stocking foot neoprene hip waders. the only reason that I went with the neoprenes for my fat dad is he really isn't that fat but more on the crippled side and they will keep him warmer while sitting in the boat. he will more than likely never get past his shins but nobody likes a wet butt.