2015: Any fishing firsts for you?

C_Run
C_Run
I did not fish too much in 2015 due to being stuck in kind of a home improvement hell for most of the year. Most of my better fishing experiences were in the first half of the year and not so much recently. However, after some thought, I did come up with a couple of firsts, such as they were.

1. New species. I caught a shad while trout fishing in tide water. Whoo hoo!

2. New location. The ocean. We finally got it together and fished salt water out of the kayaks twice and caught fish both times.

3. New people. I got to make some new fishing buds out of old acquaintances.

That isn't a real impressive list but it's something anyways. What were your firsts in 2015? How about goals for 2016? My goal will be just to go more.

PbVBzNM.jpg

P
pinstriper
Everything I did in 2015 was a fishing first for me. I'm still a rookie through March or so.

First steelhead, first salmon (coho), first trout (rainbow and cutthroat), first bluegill, first bass, first catfish, first sole, first surfperch, first pikeminnow, first rockfish. Fished wading down streams, from banks, drift boats, and kayaks, on rivers, streams, ponds, lakes, and bays. Met fishing buddies, acquired lots of skill and an inordinate amount of gear, a good deal of which I actually know how to use, now. New experiences and confidence galore.

Still need to land a chinook, shad, crappie, sturgeon, kokanee, lingcod, halibut, cabezon ... are sockeye available ?

Still haven't gone out in the salt beyond tillymuck bay or the shipwreck on the columbia.

So lots to do, and I can't wait for the reruns.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Nice work Striper!

Cheers,

Chris

jamisonace
jamisonace
I caught a skate (I think that's what they're called...small flounder looking thing) in fresh water on sixes, on a plug.

S
smoky
My dad bought a boat in spring and I fished for salmon out of the Columbia in fall caught my first coho and chinook it's been an awesome year can't wait for next year.

T
troutmasta
Hooked a Fall Nook on Fly Rod.

Caught my PB Nook as well

N
NJOYTSNJOYTR
First Chinook, Coho, Sturgeon. Hoping to pull off a clutch and hook a nice Steelhead before the year ends.
and first year in Oregon! :thumb:

M
mustardthetrout
Caught my first sturgeon and several dozen more!

C_Run
C_Run
You guys are awesome. Pinstriper needs some kind of award. Merry Christmas, I headed to the coast !

H
Hookset
Caught my first and second fall Chinook in the big C this year.

H
hdpwipmonkey
Got out in the salt (sort of) at sunset bay in my kayak and caught a nice greenling. Caught my first coho out of Tillamook Bay. Went out of depoe bay on a PB with the family and caught a bunch of bottom fish and caught a big Chinook while rigged for bottom fish so I couldn't keep it. This is our first full year here in Oregon too. My goals for the upcoming year... catch one of the very elusive steelheads, get out in the ocean with my kayak more, and make it out to catch some tuna.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Markk
Markk
Caught my first Coho on a fly up in Alaska..

P
pinstriper
C_Run said:
You guys are awesome. Pinstriper needs some kind of award. Merry Christmas, I headed to the coast !

You're very kind, but this past year has been very rewarding in more ways I can tell.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Caught my first "Rock Fish"
20151018_125602.jpg

J
JeannaJigs
2015 was the first fall salmon run that I didn't tag anything :-/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Irishrover
Irishrover
I had a lot of fun helping a friend fill his bucket list. He had never caught a halibut or a tuna. In the spring he reeled up his first ever halibut from 500'. Later in August he brought in a nice tuna on a rod while trolling a clone. If he want to go for shark, he going to need to find a different friend. ;)

B
BaldTexan
Many firsts for me moving from the south almost 2 years ago.

Fall chinook, spring chinook, winter steelhead, summer steelhead, shad, those pesky bait stealing ******* sculpin!, sea run cutthroat, chum salmon, sturgeon (biggest fish landed in my life!) greenling, flounder, dungeness and rock crab, coho salmon and steelhead on a fly rod (just lucky on both counts because I don't know how to fly fish!). Biggest rainbow, Brookie, and Kokanee I've ever caught. I am definitely hooked on fishing the NW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk