Winter steelhead camp& fish

brandon4455
brandon4455
I know this sounds sort of crazy..But would anyone be interested in doing a camping trip (like two days) on a coastal river for some winter steelhead? im free until the 22nd of next month when start i job preparation training and GED study stuff.. i figure a camping trip would allow the maximum amount of time of the water and allows you to cover more water thus making your chances of catching fish higher.. is anyone in or are you all afraid of the cold?? :lol: i can take any questions/suggestions here or by pm.

Brandon

E
eugene1
sounds like a blast. Some campgrounds are closed in the winter, right?

Where are you thinking/ what river?

H
halibuthitman
you dropped out of school? the only trip you should be taking is back down the road of education...

Last edited:
W
wozniasm
I may be interested if it's over a weekend....
In training at work so during the week isn't an option for me right now.

S
steelhead_slayer
I would if i didn't just back back from a fishing trip

S
Spydeyrch
I am would be down for it, the cold don't scare me one bit!! But, my wife is leaving for two weeks to Mexico for a cousin's wedding. So I am stuck with the kids. Sorry brandon, would love to make it but can't go. Wish you the best of luck. :D

-Spydey

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
IF I didn't have to work, I would love to join you. I also want to say I am proud of you for going back to get your GED. Not having that can seriously limit any chance of "making it" in the future. My Mother was 45 years old when she went back and got hers. Talk about being proud! Don't let anything or anyone hold you back, only you can place limits on your future.

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
you dropped out of school? the only trip you should be taking is back down the road of education...

Brad, it's a long story..and has nothing to do with this thread. But thanks for putting a spotlight on me.

brandon4455
brandon4455
wozniasm said:
I may be interested if it's over a weekend....
In training at work so during the week isn't an option for me right now.

it will be on a weekend most likely

brandon4455
brandon4455
eugene1 said:
sounds like a blast. Some campgrounds are closed in the winter, right?

Where are you thinking/ what river?

not 100% on what river, still doing a little research. i know of a few campgrounds that are free and open this time of year though

L
Lamzy
I am avaiable any time. I group of us camped on the south fork of the Alsea new years.
River was high and muddy so no fishing but had fun eating and camping in the cold.
Decide when and where and lets do it

brandon4455
brandon4455
Lamzy said:
I am avaiable any time. I group of us camped on the south fork of the Alsea new years.
River was high and muddy so no fishing but had fun eating and camping in the cold.
Decide when and where and lets do it

alright ill keep in touch and let you know when by pm.

L
luddite
Camp & Fish

Camp & Fish

Keep in mind that you can camp anywhere on National Forest Land for up to 14 days with no problems. Just pack it in and pack it out and find a place with an existing fire ring, I do it all the tme. There are plenty of spots this time of year. Last year I spent two days on a little turn out on the Siuslaw.

brandon4455
brandon4455
luddite said:
Keep in mind that you can camp anywhere on National Forest Land for up to 14 days with no problems. Just pack it in and pack it out and find a place with an existing fire ring, I do it all the tme. There are plenty of spots this time of year. Last year I spent two days on a little turn out on the Siuslaw.
Really? i did not know that.. thats awesome thanks for the info!! and i always pack out, i hate litterbugs!

J
jawjacker
Last year I hiked into Drift Creek Wilderness area off the Alsea for two days. I was targeting steelhead but just caught a bunch of really nice trout. It was nice and all but this year the two spots I have scoped out have epic potential if I can time it just right. The first spot is Nesika Park on the East fork of the Millicoma river. There is a hoard of bank fishing all over that park and it's the first year in quite some time that they have opened the park up to overnight camping durring the winter. The Next spot is a camp ground close to the town of Powers on the South fork Coquille. If I don't get to make it out there this season maybe you can. Those are definitely some top notch spots worth consideration

brandon4455
brandon4455
jawjacker said:
Last year I hiked into Drift Creek Wilderness area off the Alsea for two days. I was targeting steelhead but just caught a bunch of really nice trout. It was nice and all but this year the two spots I have scoped out have epic potential if I can time it just right. The first spot is Nesika Park on the East fork of the Millicoma river. There is a hoard of bank fishing all over that park and it's the first year in quite some time that they have opened the park up to overnight camping durring the winter. The Next spot is a camp ground close to the town of Powers on the South fork Coquille. If I don't get to make it out there this season maybe you can. Those are definitely some top notch spots worth consideration

really appriciate the suggestions, thanks dude!!