Fly fishing questions

T
the_intimidator03
LOL OTF no insult taken. I have always enjoyed light tackle angling. If I had the money I would probably pick up a good 6wt or 7wt rod for steel and small salmon. But currently can't do that. Perhaps this summer. I do appreciate the tips and advice you folks have given.

Btw I think tarpon from a float tube would be absolutly fun. Now if somone wants to pay for the trip and provide everything (including a dora rod) I will do it.

H
halibuthitman
a 6wt is not too small for steelhead, but it is rather light, you will want to purchase a fighting butt to ad to your rod, Frank Amatto, ( troutdudes cousin?.. no thats Jedi Davis, sorry) can be quoted dozens of times stating he prefers 4-5-6 wt rods for steelhead, now while frank doesn't really impress me much thousands of folks have bought his books so that means since he is published that this is all true meaning a 6wt flyrod is ample for most oregon steelhead.... and this is true. Now in Alaska, Idaho or British columbia I would say it is not nearly enough rod. The rod would be very hard on a native you wish to release, but frankly on that rod a native is most likely going to release itself.. if you fish anything more than 10 lb on that rod a fish is gonna break the rod.. done it.. so you don't have to do the research, I already have. Worldwide, the 6 and 7 wt flyrod is the most common line weights for atlantic salmon and sea-run trouts, spey and switch rods allow through leverage the ability to fish lighter lines. The 8-9 wt thing is an american west coast/canada/alaska thing... the 7 wt has probably landed more fish world wide in history than any other rod weight. so in short, have fun, your gonna lose an assload of fish, but your gonna get a few as well, ive caught dozens of steelhead on a sfl 6 wt glass sage.. and every one of them was fun-

T
the_intimidator03
I appreciate your thoughts HHM I figure a broken 6wt makes for a good story and good excuse for a new rod :D Then I shall ask myself if I should learn spey/switch

N
ninja2010
the_intimidator03 said:
Then I shall ask myself if I should learn spey/switch

yes...

Reactions: OnTheFly
W
wozniasm
the importance of a [B said:
longer rod[/B]

Should I let this one go?!:)

T
the_intimidator03
wozniasm said:
Should I let this one go?!:)

I don't know, are you perfectly happy with the one you have?

L
lilsalmon
6wt......:whistle::whistle::whistle:

6682987387_8c61611133_z.jpg

H
halibuthitman
^^^^ and in small fast water on eagle creek... Rose you are a stud!

W
wozniasm
the_intimidator03 said:
I don't know, are you perfectly happy with the one you have?

Works for me!

L
lilsalmon
halibuthitman said:
^^^^ and in small fast water on eagle creek... Rose you are a stud!

hehe....never been called a stud before...thanks Brad...I think :dance::D

L
lilsalmon
Got your tags!!!!! yay. Now we just need to set up a day to target some steel.

T
the_intimidator03
lilsalmon said:
Got your tags!!!!! yay. Now we just need to set up a day to target some steel.

Pick it. The day that is. You know my schedual lol

V
Van
GDBrown said:
An 8wt rod will also allow you to land the fish sooner with less stress on the fish so if it is released it will have a better chance at returning to it normal life in the river.

This.

L
lilsalmon
the_intimidator03 said:
Pick it. The day that is. You know my schedual lol
i will have a different schedule next week so will let you know.