Oregon fly fishing book recommendations?

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
I'm a bit distracted with steelhead on a spinning rod at the moment but am looking forward to getting into some trout this spring. I'm new to Oregon. Does anyone have an outstanding 'fly anglers guide to this great state' kind of recommendation? With a 4wt, I'll be looking for smaller streams & lesser-traveled byways.

Thank ya folks!

F
fredaevans
Good Question PG, good question. If I had to 'just pick one' it would be John Huber's "Flyfisher's Guide to Oregon." Brief to the point of this, that and another .... BUT (thrust is 'moving waters') have actual maps to cut down on your wanderings. Lake fishing wise, other folks have forgotten more than I know.

That said, the reel deal (sorry, bad pun) is do you want moving water or still waters?

Fred

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Awesome. Thanks Fred. I am definitely hooked on moving water. I may get into stillwater at some point (probably, based on everything else I'm geeking out on these days), but I love the thrill of the hunt and the surrounding beauty even if you come up empty handed for the day. I'm in NE Portland so I'm assuming Troudale out to Mt. Hood is probably going to be the general area I'll be exploring, but honestly I know so little still I could end up anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

-P

troutdude
troutdude
PG, Huber's book is good. There are others too. If you can visit a local fly shop (or bookstore), you'll find what you want.

WORD: the upper Clackamas has good solid trout waters. I believe that you'll find bows, brookes, and cutts up there. Maybe browns too (there are browns in NFR).

Happy hunting,

TD

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Thanks troutdude. I work a block from Powell's. I was over there during my lunch break today but there are so many to choose from, I thought I would ask for some personal recommendations. Amazon is usually great for those kinds of ratings, but with this being so specific to Oregon, it hasn't been as much help as I would have liked. Any and all additional suggestions are most welcome!

S
Sinkline
For sure you want to stay away from Oregon stillwaters, there are few trout in the lakes and reservoirs here. ;)

Randy

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Sinkline said:
For sure you want to stay away from Oregon stillwaters, there are few trout in the lakes and reservoirs here. ;)

No worries there. There's just nothing like the sound of rushing water and the thrill hooking into something lurking behind a big boulder or just beyond a riffle. I'm not sure I'll ever enjoy lake fishing the way I did before getting out into the rivers.

F
fredaevans
Given your location the Sandy and Clack are obvious bets for winter fishing. As you move further into the year keep your 'eye on the ball' with the Deschutes River. Google Deschutes River Map+BLM. Their river map is right down to the one tenth of a mile and dead on. You can print this out or most of the local fly shops have a smaller water proof copy for about ten bucks. Priceless resource. Map also show all the river side camping areas, description of what you'll find, etc., and etc.
fae

troutdude
troutdude
Sinkline said:
For sure you want to stay away from Oregon stillwaters, there are few trout in the lakes and reservoirs here. ;) Randy

Well, that's one way to squelch the competish. LOL

Sorry Pinky, there are so many that I can't recall a specific one to read.

The 'chutes is a great idea. It's a bit more of a drive, but well within our reach.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Ha! Being without a boat, I don't mind a lake when the wife or the family are out with me, but if given the choice, the thrill of the upstream hunt is so much more rewarding in its own right. It's just not quite as fun to come home from being skunked after a day on the side of a lake.

I
ICamel49
Oregon Fishing Book

Oregon Fishing Book

While not strictly for fly fishing, I would highly recommend "Fishing in Oregon: The Complete Oregon Fishing Guide". An equally good resource is "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon". You will find each to cover almost all fishing opportunities in this state. They should have a copy of both at Powell's Bookstore.

Edit: Oh..........and Randy is spot on about stillwaters in Oregon;)

Last edited:
pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
I did pick that one up a few days ago after several recommendations. Good book but I'm looking for all the fly-specific advice I can get.

F
fredaevans
Arrrg! Finally found the Bloody Thing. Lakes, streams, etc.

"Fishing in Oregon" by Madelynne Sheehan and Dan Casali. This Puppy has lots of good info on rivers (maps too), but its strong point is 'still waters.'

State of Oar-E-Gone also puts out a 3-4 times per month 'here's what's going on' (free!! and on the Internet). From what I know/experience the thing is as close to 'dead on' as you can get. Will get the web link and update this post.

Fred

Edit: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/index.asp Just 'click on' the Region you want to know ... Actually, go back to the title page as there's a wealth of info.

Last edited:
pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Many thanks, good sir. That seems like the bible everyone refers to. I picked up a copy just this past week. I'm off to study!

troutdude
troutdude
The "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon", is much more comprehensive and has MANY more streams listed than "Fishing in Oregon". FIO is a great book...I've had one since the 80's. But, CAGO has MORE info!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Roger that.

troutdude
troutdude
Hey Pinky,

I have a copy of John Huber's "Flyfisher's Guide to Oregon". It just took a while, to figure out where I put it. LOL

Anyway, the book is about 90 - 95% written about fishing STREAMS. So, I'd suggest that you find a copy. It's published by Wilderness Adventures Press, Inc. in Montana. But, I got mine used at a local book shop.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Fantastic. Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. I hope that you find it useful. One stream you might like, is the Salmon River. It's out Hwy. 226, with the exit near/or in Brightwood.

BTW, don't forget that your first reply from member fredaevans...also suggested this book.

troutdude
troutdude
Another good title...

Another good title...

Although not "fly fishing specific" nor covering anything other than still waters-- another good book is "Fishing in Oregon's Cascade Lakes", by Scott Richmond. Flying Pencil Publications, Scappoose.

BTW, there used to be a Fly Shop in Welches (a bit east of Brightwood). If that shop is still there--and you're fishing the upper Sandy or the Salmon--it would be a good place to get supplies as needed.

Last edited: