Pros & cons of over-lining?

S
Spydeyrch
What are some of the pros and cons of over-lining a rod? For example, I have an 8wt rod but use a 9wt line. I would assume you could cast further with the same amount of exertion as if you had an 8wt line.

But what other pros and cons are there, if they exist?

Thanks!

-Spydey

E
eggs
yea, just loads the rod easier... if the rod can handle it.. most rods can be lined up at least 1 time.

S
Sinkline
Spydey, depends on what you are gonna use the rod for. If you intend to throw short cast on small streams then over-lining will make the rod load up with a shorter amount of line. On the other hand, if you are casting for distance (think stillwater) then the rod may not handle the weight of the line if you over-line it. Rods are different also. Some rods are not rated accurately (my opinion).

Randy

T
The Nothing
Sinkline said:
Some rods are not rated accurately (my opinion).

and mine as well. You can't even feel my Lami 7wt load up when using a 7WF line. And my 5wt would probably be happier with a 4wt line, though it casted a 7WF just as well as it does a 5WF

Reactions: steelhead1
S
steelhead1
Lighter wt line is easier to mend IMO.

L
Lamzy
My most favorite rod is a 10ft 7wt rod and it seems to load and cast best with my 10wt WF line.
Also on my 10ft 9wt rod I use a 12wt WF line.
maybe I am doing a little over kill but the rods seems to work for little old me.
KiltedBob

B
Bucknasty
James at homewaters in eugene just sent an email about a similar subject.. His tip of the month emails are very informative even though at times the subject is simple. Here is part of his email that could be helpful to you. It specifically talks about underlining a rod (i know you were asking about overlining) but the information could still be helpful to you... i hope :cool: Cheers, Bob

Reason to undersize a line to rod ratio. Definition one has a 5 wt rod, try loading it with a 4 wt line to accomplish the following. Line weight, fly size and leader length effect presentation more than rod weight. Sometimes you need to pick up a long line and cast it back quickly (drifting in a boat) If you typically carry and cast more than 35 to 40 feet of line, you may find it easier to underline your rod. For every 10 to 15 feet added to the 30 feet in the air, you add another line weight to the load. A 5 wt line becomes the equivalent of a 6 wt when 40 feet of line is in the air, a 7 wt with 60 to 65 feet in the air. Smaller (underlining) diameter line is less air resistance but takes more line out to load the rod. Try a steeple cast in head on winds, use a high back cast and a low forward cast which has a tendency to cut through the wind and keep your loop tight. A large loop has more wind resistance.

S
Sinkline
Bucknasty said:
James at homewaters in eugene just sent an email about a similar subject.. His tip of the month emails are very informative even though at times the subject is simple. Here is part of his email that could be helpful to you. It specifically talks about underlining a rod (i know you were asking about overlining) but the information could still be helpful to you... i hope :cool: Cheers, Bob

Reason to undersize a line to rod ratio. Definition one has a 5 wt rod, try loading it with a 4 wt line to accomplish the following. Line weight, fly size and leader length effect presentation more than rod weight. Sometimes you need to pick up a long line and cast it back quickly (drifting in a boat) If you typically carry and cast more than 35 to 40 feet of line, you may find it easier to underline your rod. For every 10 to 15 feet added to the 30 feet in the air, you add another line weight to the load. A 5 wt line becomes the equivalent of a 6 wt when 40 feet of line is in the air, a 7 wt with 60 to 65 feet in the air. Smaller (underlining) diameter line is less air resistance but takes more line out to load the rod. Try a steeple cast in head on winds, use a high back cast and a low forward cast which has a tendency to cut through the wind and keep your loop tight. A large loop has more wind resistance.

This is along the same line of thought as what I referred to in my reply above. However, James comments do not take into account the difference in various head designs. Short head/long head designs all play into the equation. Understanding the design characteristics of various lines is a very important part of choosing the optimum line.

I think the best advice is for the user to decide what the PRIMARY use of the rod will be, then pick the line head design, and weight of line that loads the rod best for the intended use.

Randy

B
Bucknasty
Randy i thought the OP's question was about pros and cons of overlining, not which line should i get (obviously i misunderstood) I was trying to offer information i have found helpful to spydey.. anyhow, i personally find james information highly educated and more than helpful, if the OP does too have james add you to his tip of the week emails. cheers, Bob