Losing rigging at near Meldrun Bar

O
OC fish guy
Hi, I'm new to plunking and picked Meldrun Bar Park since it's close to OC. With help from folks at Fisherman's I got set up with splitter, spin & glow and 6 oz wt. I lost a weight on the first cast and about 15 mins later I plunked again and then lost the whole rig when I reeled in after a bit. I fished (I think) right across from the dirt race track just up river from M. Bar. Any advice? How do I keep from losing gear or is this just a part of plunking?
Thanks for any responses!
OC fish guy

B
Big3d
Hey, welcome to the forum. There will be many ounces of lead donated to the bottom of the river if you're gonna plunk, but... You can up the test on your dropper. I couldn't tell you how many pounds of lead line the bottom of there up through the west linn dock.

O
OC fish guy
Thanks

Thanks

Big3d said:
Hey, welcome to the forum. There will be many ounces of lead donated to the bottom of the river if you're gonna plunk, but... You can up the test on your dropper. I couldn't tell you how many pounds of lead line the bottom of there up through the west linn dock.

Thanks for the reply; I will try again knowing I am donating to a common cause!
OC fish guy

T
troutmasta
Dont park on the bar.

O
OC fish guy
I arrived at Meldrum Bar Park by chance just after the recent tragedy. Folks at Fisherman's also described the dangers of driving onto the bar. Thanks.

J
Jiggy
Tides

Tides

OC fish guy said:
I arrived at Meldrum Bar Park by chance just after the recent tragedy. Folks at Fisherman's also described the dangers of driving onto the bar. Thanks.

If the water is over the saddle, then I agree, it is difficult to judge how deep it's getting with an incoming tide. If the water isn't over the saddle(the low point near the beginning of the bar) and the tide is going out then you're fine. Look up the tides for that day then be off before it gets in too far. It's really sad that people get hurt out there, but there was no reason that should've happened. Since it's a river we have a false sense of security I guess, but not paying attention is exactly like turning your back on the surf at the beach. Just do your research and pay attention, be careful.

O
OC fish guy
I found out today that rigged the splitter incorrectly. I had hook where weight should go. No wonder I didn't catch any steelhead!! I'm ready to try again, etc. Hope to do so in next few days. I'm glad I found this forum!

B
Big3d
I will deliberately rig those upside down at times but that can very easily foul up your rig. Glad you were able to troubleshoot that. Keep on those bad boys, they are coming through now/soon.

L
Lurker
Knots can help a lot. Tie your leader with a palomar (to your swivel), and your weight with an overhand knot to your dropper line.

This video could be helpful for your specific setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMDoQYrQztY

I'd consider this technique for Chinook.. ;-)

O
OC fish guy
Finally had a chance to view video. Thanks! Fisherman's set me up with swivels. When, why would I use em'? None shown in video.

L
Lurker
OC fish guy said:
Fisherman's set me up with swivels. When, why would I use em'? None shown in video.

In the video, he's using a splitter where you'd use a swivel. I'm personally not a fan of those splitters.