Surf fishing question!!!

T
TJR_84
Was down in Newport this week and saw a guy surf fishing. Looks pretty fun just wondering how do you rig for surf fishing? Also what baits? Im gonna head to newport this weekend and want to try it also gonna hit up the river for steelies.

C_Run
C_Run
I'll take a stab even though I have only been doing this a few times. They are probably fishing for surf perch and using several ounces of lead or whatever is needed to hold the bottom in the waves. Pyramid sinkers are good. Then up above are usually two hooks on loops or three-way swivels with any of a number of baits.Snelled bait holder hooks are good. Shrimp from the store, mussels, and sand shrimp are common baits. The hooks are probably about a foot or two above the sinker. The best time to fish is right before and during high tide when the perch come in to feed on crap that washes around during high tide. You don't need to cast out super far either, just out in the waves or behind them is about right. If you can find places like drop offs or at the mouths of creeks, that's good. Scout it at low tide. Good luck.

K
Kevinb5688
--^ basically what he said but trust me, dont leave home without 2" berkly gulp shrimp in natural and red colors. They stay on the hook, you can catch 5-10 fish on one, and i swear they work better than the real thing.

K
Kevinb5688
Ohh, and they tend to school up so move until you find them then follow them as the school slowly moves. Usually theres hundreds and once you find them its easy fishin. Sometimes you have to cover 1/2 a mile of shore line though.

C
CoastieFlo
do a search on ODFW for Marine Fishing, they have some good info there.

C_Run
C_Run
Kevinb5688 said:
--^ basically what he said but trust me, dont leave home without 2" berkly gulp shrimp in natural and red colors. They stay on the hook, you can catch 5-10 fish on one, and i swear they work better than the real thing.

This is no joke. One time I saw these guys catching surf perch up at Cape Meares using Cheetos right out of the bag.