My biggest steelhead yet!!!!

K
Kevinb5688
kevins iphone 113.jpghit up the river today, fished hard from 7-1 with 3 lost fish.
had one jump and spit my watermelon corkie in my face. and the other two were on for 10 seconds and somehow my hook pulled free. i was getting frustrated because i was trying to show my neewbie buddie how its done, and all i could do is lose fish.
i decided to make a trip down to the hatchery and see how many people were lined up in the meat hole. to my suprise the best water was vacant so i made my move and cast out. first cast tugg tugg! fish on and lost it. thats 0 for 4. very next cast same spot i finally got a 36 inch 17 lb hatchery steelhead, she was a beauty. time was 2:eek:o and im glad we didn't give up. sorry no water pics, my camera was in the truck.

kevins iphone 114.jpgkevins iphone 110.jpg

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
SUPER SLAYER!! :clap::clap: You guys are turning me green with envy! :lol:

W
waco
Damn dude thats a dinosaur where is your newspaper?

C
ChezJfrey
Holy Moly! Well, if you're only gonna bank one for the day, with the rest lost, that's definitely the one to do it with...17 pounds!

K
Kevinb5688
waco said:
Damn dude thats a dinosaur where is your newspaper?

I know i thought about that this morning. The store wasn't open though. And i didn't have a river pic. I was going to take my camera and the fish back to the river for a good pic, and go get a newspaper, but i had fun catching it and thats all that i care about. I rolled my eyes when i pulled out my 1/4 inch wide pocket tape measurer too. I knew that tiny thing wouldnt show up in a pic.
Lesson learned, be prepared for a big fish contest. Lol

Last edited:
C_Run
C_Run
That's a good dry run for the tournament.

A
alm21
Kevinb5688 said:
hit up the river today, fished hard from 7-1 with 3 lost fish.
had one jump and spit my watermelon corkie in my face. and the other two were on for 10 seconds and somehow my hook pulled free. i was getting frustrated because i was trying to show my neewbie buddie how its done, and all i could do is lose fish.
... im glad we didn't give up.

Oh I know your pain all too well! Awesome that you didn't give up and got the big prize! Nice fish!

K
Kevinb5688
It happens, somedays i go 5 for 5 or sometimes 0 for 5.
Same hooks, same setup, but a different day is something you can't change.

troutdude
troutdude
Wow. If you gotta lose...lose BIG!!! 17 pounds is a BIGGIE!

S
salmon_slayer87
Holy cow thats a big fish. I need to head down there soon. My first trip down there this year was a bust...water was too high. Congrats man.

G
GDBrown
Kevinb5688 said:
It happens, somedays i go 5 for 5 or sometimes 0 for 5.
Same hooks, same setup, but a different day is something you can't change.

I should be so lucky! I have gone zero for zero for that last 10 trips...... Will someone teach me how to find the fish? I have been out twice this week and spent 5 hours on the water today with no strikes at all. I'm about to wait for trout season to start....

GD

S
Santiam338
Congrats...Awesome fish!!

Reactions: waco
K
Kevinb5688
Thanks, it felt good to end the native fish streak i had going. That was my first hatchery fish of 2012.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
Reactions: waco
H
halibuthitman
wow... that would for sure have won the civil war for at least the week! nice fish, imagine if you would have stuck 2 of the other 4 lost fish.. you never would have stuck that pig! sometimes bad luck is good luck in disguise-

K
Kevinb5688
halibuthitman said:
wow... that would for sure have won the civil war for at least the week! nice fish, imagine if you would have stuck 2 of the other 4 lost fish.. you never would have stuck that pig! sometimes bad luck is good luck in disguise-

If i read your rules right fish in the month of feb. Only count right?
So i guess i will have to get me a 20lb fish then and bring me a newspaper! Watch out im gunning for gold ;)

N
nwkiller
holy crap!!!!! nice fish kevin!!!!!!!

P
PNW Sam
That's a monster! nice job!

M
Mad dog
WOW!!!....super nice hen!

17lbs is pretty nice for a hatchery hen! Congrats!

H
halibuthitman
Kevinb5688 said:
If i read your rules right fish in the month of feb. Only count right?
So i guess i will have to get me a 20lb fish then and bring me a newspaper! Watch out im gunning for gold ;)
true, contest doe'snt begin until feb 1st... but its gotta feel nice to land a fish that would be a winner.. fish are bigger in feb, so luck is on your side!