How to fish for bass?

S
salmon_slayer87
I have caught a few in the past...mostly on accident. haha. I would like to open myself up to other kinds of fish.
My question is where do i start? any ponds close to eugene that hold some good bass numbers? Other then worms...how do I fish for them? Lures? Rigs?
thanks for the help fellow fishermen/women.

K
Kevinb5688
The ponds by valley river would be a good spot to fish. For starters use a senko and spinner bait.
a lot of factors depend on what you should use but that is a good starting point. Other than that tune into the fishing channel and you will get a few good tips on there.
Welcome to OFF

S
salmon_slayer87
Thank you good sir. Im always looking for new fishing buddies too. So if you ever want to show somebody new around...ill be here haha.
thanks again.

F
fish4life
I'm no bass expert but ussually catch smallmouth on 3" mister twisters on 1/8 oz jigheads.

S
salmon_slayer87
my cousin told me about senko's. never tried them. is there a time off year that i should try for? im guessing once it gets warmer out...

S
salmon_slayer87
fish4life said:
I'm no bass expert but ussually catch smallmouth on 3" mister twisters on 1/8 oz jigheads.

what is a mister twister? lol i saw a bass swallow a duckling whole one time on a mill race in springfield...must have been a big one lol

T
the_intimidator03
Mister twister is like a little grub with a curl tail. I have had some good success in the spring time down at Dorena and Cottage Grove Reservoir using 4-6 inch curl tail worms rigged weedless and weightless. Senko's have seen some success as well. I have also used poppers and spinnerbaits as well.

T
tomriker
jigs and swimbaits will get you the biggest fish

T
Team CF
A weightless Senko will catch bass almost anytime of the year. Its pretty fool proof as well. Cast it next to cover let it sink on slack line and they will eat it. Senkos in recent years for me have become less and less productive because everyone throws them. I do however fish larger reservoirs where fish are a lot more spread out then in ponds. Try different types of stick baits such as Yum Dingers. (I like these better then the Original Senko)

Another great softbait is a purple power worm Texas rigged with a small bullet weight. These catch a lot of keeper bass for me of both species. When you get into the summer months a weedless frog will be one of the most fun baits you can throw. 100 degree weather at noon, you can throw a frog on top of a weed mat and it will get plowed.

Spinnerbaits as said is also a great bait fish it fast and high and you will get the reaction strikes you are looking for when using this bait chartreuse/white is all you will need.

A bait overlooked by a lot of people are large jerkbaits floating or suspending they are great pond baits and DEADLY on river smallmouth in the summer. Do not be afraid to go big, even for smallmouth.

Last edited:
S
salmon_slayer87
thank you everyone for the help. ill try these methods out and get back to you all.

K
Kevinb5688
Kreature baits and jigs are my go to baits anywhere. Not for searching for bass but once i find them with a crankbait i pull out the 8 inch brush hawg.
Spring time is best for bass fishing, the first week or two of warm weather and the bite will start everywhere.

C
colbypearson
Fish senkos get the hang of it, they will produce better than anything for a beginner, watch your line. Just cast and let the bait sink watch the speed at witch the bait sinks and keep an eye for bumps, changes in sink rate etc.. once you get that down you can expand upon techniques. Match your color choice to the water clarity muddy - black, watermelon black and red etc... clear- baby bass, smoke, green pumpkin, watermelon etc.

S
salmon_slayer87
thank you. I just need to find a spot that would hold some good fish. i have a couple of ponds i want to try in the eugene/springfield area.