Major help needed

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
I have signed up for TASF in July at Odell and I understand Kokanee fishing is hot up there, I will be taking out two vets on my boat and I would like to make sure they have a good experience. My only problem is I have never fished for Kokanee in my life. I have seen some ideas but that is about the best I have. So I am in hopes that some body out there in this fishing land would be willing to help me out. I am a bottom fisher for rainbows and have caught a few browns. I know nothing of the Jiggy style for Kokes nore the trolling method. so HELP.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I am sure there are many people out there much more qualified than I am to answer your question, but here is what has worked for me in the past. Trolling Ford Fenders (or some equivalent trout sized silver flasher) with a wedding ring on a about a 16" leader at the depth of the fish, with corn or night crawlers as bait. Chartreuse and red were good colors. To get the whole setup down in the water we hooked a banana weight to the head of the rigging. If you have down riggers that is even better.

M
martin s.
Hey Charlie, never fished odell, but trolled for silvers in Washington for many years. first you need a fish finder to find what depth the fish are swimming at. once you know the depth required of your presentation. troll miniature flashers 60 ft behind release, add 3ft of leader, there are numerous lures that you can use spinners like wedding bands, etc... lots of red, lots of flash. go out and practice, visit your local takle shop... good luck

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Forgot to tell you, I have down riggers, depth finder etc. but that info helps a lot. Any of you know about the jigging thing.

E
espencer757
If you are talking July, you will need downriggers to troll. Most likely, they will be at about 75 to 100 feet. Rig up a small sling blade on each rod of varying colors, but be ready to change based on what rod is getting bit. I find the Mack's lures are a good go to. I would mix those up as well. Use different styles and colors as well as different smile blades. Also, imo, lures with a stinger are a must. This should be added begging the sling with about 18 in of line between the blade and the lure. Bait with white corn soaked in krill or Kokanee killer pro cure sent. Terri pieces of corn on the front hook 1 on the back. Make sure to set your release somewhat right. You need to release the line and real the slack in fast rather than let the fish release it and throw the hook before the tighten the line.

One last thing. Be prepared. There is a chance that a lake trout out Mackinaw will take either the lure or the Kokanee on the line. Now then, jigging. Your on your own. I have been told I'm doing it right, but I have yet to catch a fish while all around me other are knocking the crud out of them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk