Siuslaw bank advice

L
Like2pedal
New to the forum. My son and I are just learning to fish for salmon and steelhead. I want to take him to the Siuslaw this weekend to try for some chinook. We are using bobber/jig set up. Can anyone share a spot or two to try bank fishing near Mapleton? I assume with the rain that the fish are moving up there now? What type of water do you fish for the chinook? Tailouts like for steelhead or is it different?

Thanks,
Eric

B
bigboy70
Ive never caught one but generally deeper pools back eddies and jigs with slot of flash and a saying hook saw a chucking a 1/2 with a 3/0 maybe 4/0 yesterday as for the actual rover im no help

B
bigboy70
A strong hook

J
JeannaJigs
Fish the deep slots. Follow the thousand cars in each pullout as to where to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thousand? You must be thinking weekday afternoon. Haha

I floated it last Friday and it was crazy busy on the bank and on the water.

JeannaJigs said:
Fish the deep slots. Follow the thousand cars in each pullout as to where to go.

U
upperroguepirate
yeah, what a frustrating day. I drove over the hill from suislaw river rd. and freakin cars everywhere on a Monday. I have only been up there twice, and today being my 2nd time. I may be wrong saying this and i'm sure there are a few more spots where you don't see cars parked and I need to learn the river but I find this stretch from brickerville on up about 3 miles to be miserable for finding a place to fish and chase kings if they are stronger and you can't hold 'em in the spot your fishing.

Then I tried to find the place I was at last week and couldn't find it. a ton of cars and lots of boats. A lot of boats.

J
JeannaJigs
After the first good rain it's a boat show. That's just how it is. I'll be dragging my boat over friday. If it stays high enough.

Bank access on coastal rivers comes at a premium. You can ask plumb2fish about me dragging him to the alsea at 3 in the morning and sitting on the bank in the dark for about 3 hours before it was legal to fish. You have to be willing to make those kinds of sacrifices to get a good spot during salmon season pretty much everywhere you go.

O
OnTheDrop
Part of the reason I can't fish the Slaw much during peak season. One of the busiest rivers I've witnessed..

jamisonace
jamisonace
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Part of the reason I can't fish the Slaw much during peak season. One of the busiest rivers I've witnessed..

And not a lot of good water. You really need to know the hidden slots on busy days or get there early and set a pick on one of the better holes until legal light and fish it all day.

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Head up the river toward Swiss home, that's the best I can tell ya

C
CoastieFlo
Get yerself a county pass, theres a nice deep hole @ Tide, and a decent one on the other bank @ Shindler. Both of those are county parks.

J
JeannaJigs
It really is the busiest, it's why I go elsewhere 90% of the time. There are rivers with TONS of bank access in comparison. They're still busy but people are generally more spread out. Just way too many people from eugene, springtucky and florence hitting that tiny river. The miles of bank to angler ratio isn't high enough with such a low deadline