Strikeout at Oxbow

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Big water out there today. It was probably ok for side drifters but really heavy flow for a wader like me. I think I missed a couple of bites down at the boat ramp but that's about all. Here's hoping this weekend is better.

On a funny related note, I took the afternoon off to go give it a whirl. Didn't tell the boss, but he's in Houston and I got quite a bit done this morning. He called three times while I was out there. (No reception.) I thought I was going to get an earful when I called him back.

His first question: "Where've you been?
Me: "Um... fishing for steelhead?"
Him: pause: "GOOD FOR YOU!"

He then went on to tell me about a trip he took with his son out in Northern California last week.

Good times. No fish, but apparently I scored points with the big man for giving it a shot. Life is good.

Reactions: Raincatcher
S
Scotsman70
Well Pinky, it looks like you dodged a bullet with the boss...Very Cool:D:D

As to the fishing...I'm sure you know the rest.

Sharp Hooks Tight Lines

M
mccarrel
I was up a bit higher at Dodge/ garbage hole, didn't see any fish nor hear from anyone else.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Yea - sounds like your day was worse than mine yesterday, McCarrel! Just gotta stay on 'em. We'll get ours yet.

M
mgdguy
We managed to find a couple (see featured report). The river was high and swift, and the key was finding cleaner, slower water close to the bank. Both fish were caught 3-5 ft from the bank.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Just read that, man. Lookin' real good. Were you guys near the ramp as well or one of the pull-offs elsewhere?

M
mgdguy
yep! ;)

There are a lot of good holes all over the park. In fact we weren't where we were going to go originally because the upper area was all closed. Worked out! :lol:

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Nice. Yesterday was the first time I felt like I really had the technique of drifting dialed in. Feeling those bounces about once every 2-3 seconds. Lost 2 spinners but that was over several hours. I fished that whole beach area until the rain started in around 4pm. Had a great time, just couldn't hook up. Maybe this weekend!