To bead,or not to bead, that is the question.

To bead,or not to bead, that is the question.

• Total voters
S
steelhead1
A fair amount of controversy surrounds the technique of using a bead,casted with a fly rod.This seems to be an especially touchy thing, when targeting Steelhead. I guess the term "flyfishing" is relative to what each individuals definition of "flyfishing" is. I personally dont have any problem fishing a bead,and dont take issue with anyone doing the same. It is a deadly way to fish for steel,as well as for trout. But I have been labeled a "dirty beader",accused of being a cheat, as well as some other colorful adjectives. I am curious what opinions other fly guys on this forum may hold, on this (non)issue.

E
eugene1
what's the difference between beads and an egg pattern? I don't fly fish yet.

R
RunWithSasquatch
A bead is, well, a bead. Egg patterns are made from yarn material.

H
halibuthitman
Fishermen who never catch fish call other folks who do lots of names..

Reactions: waco
J
john montana
I tried bead in Alaska, and they are pretty effective when the fish are eating eggs. If pressed, I would say yes, but I am a bit torn on the subject and see the other side pretty clearly. The question to me isn't about the "crafting" aspect, but more the concept of pegging the bead and not attaching it directly to the hook. "hooking" a fish is getting the fish to take the hook into their mouth. With a pegged bead there is no doubt the fish eats the bead, but it doesn't eat the hook. Instead, you are sort of "tricking" the fish into getting close enough to your hook so that you can set the rod and hook the fish in the mouth. I mostly see a dilemma with beads from a snagging or not snagging perspective. The craft part...I don't know. You can buy soft premade fabric eggs now and lash them on a hook...how is that significantly more of a "fly" than a bead?

Tough one. I honestly could go either way, and I have fished beads.

V
veilside180sx
Blah, bunch of cry babies.

P
plumb2fish
halibuthitman said:
Fishermen who never catch fish call other folks who do lots of names..
Where's the like button(no I'm not talking about the popularity contest)

brandon4455
brandon4455
i want to say that i have no problem with fishing beads, ive caught plenty of trout with them in the past, and i think they are very effective But it's plastic,not a fly. There are some people who fish beads and there are people who use them as a snagging and flossing tool, feel sorry for the flossing fools because they must have no idea you can actually get a fish to bite them (fished with an indicator etc)

H
halibuthitman
I think what most folks don't like is the giant hunck of hollowcore 18 inches in front of the bead, me.. an indicator is as far from flyfishing as ballet.. you can heat a hook and melt the bead right onto it... walk down any isle at any fly shop and explain away the foam hoppers, popper and ants for me... thing-a-mabobbers, realistics made from epoxy, sheet fly wings, crystal flash, tinsel, tungsten eyes, and those rediculouse high modulous titanium encrusted sage rods, hey, don't fish from glass or aluminum drifters... only wood.. a bead is simply the finest matching of the hatch in history... I caught well over 500 fish on beads last year alone, but everyone knows, Im no fly fisherman.... just a dam dirty flosser-

C
Chedster
I fish beads under a indicator and almost always run a two fly setup with the bead as a dropper. It's not fly fishing in its purest form but I don't really care...It catches fish and it still takes a lot of work to cast, mend and setup a good drift. I catch way more fish on the bead dropper than I do the nymph or weighted egg pattern. There is no better way to mimic a egg than with a painted bead. I dropped one in the river the other day when retying and it looked so real I couldn't believe it. This the reason some fly fisherman don't like beading...It's to easy to catch fish:D I still spend 75% of my time on the water swinging flies so I don't feel bad drifting beads every now and then.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Fishining is an indiviual sport. The competitions is between you and the fish. You make your rules, as long as they are legal. Don't sweat what other folks think about your style, lifes too short for that. Who are the fly fishing rule makers anyway. Set yourself free....it's about you your rod and the fish. I don't use beads and I don't use strike indicators, but I don't give a scond thought about the folks that do. It's their rod, line and fishing experience. Fish how you want to.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: RunWithSasquatch
S
steelhead1
Irishrover said:
Fishining is an indiviual sport. The competitions is between you and the fish. You make your rules, as long as they are legal. Don't sweat what other folks think about your style, lifes too short for that. Who are the fly fishing rule makers anyway. Set yourself free....it's about you your rod and the fish.;)

Well,technically the way I rig a bead usually causes the fish to be hooked outside the mouth,so I am "snagging".So be it.I know, and anyone who has some sense knows, this is better for C&R,as I dont have to dig in the fishes mouth to remove the hook.I really dont give a flyin funk what others think of my style or technique,I really am just curious what OFF'ers think about beading itself. I hammered the summers this year throwin a craw tail with a fly rod,something that would surely make the fly "purists" swoon and drop their tea cups.I dont care,it works for me.I did well nymphing with traditional stones,too.

Reactions: RunWithSasquatch
F
FlyBum
I was first introduced to "The Bead" down on the Rogue. It works, and works well. It is also legal down there, however the bead and hot-glue eggs are not legal on rivers such as the Metolius. I've used them under big nymphs and there is no denying their effectiveness, however I would not risk the fine or trouble I could get into if I was to illegally fish these on the Metolius. I'm sure one could just crush it on the Met with a bead, but sometimes I feel like I'm cheating with even using a McEgg out there. So I'll only use them if a certain amount of desperation sets in.

S
steelhead1
What makes beads illegal on the Met?

C
capblack
i think it has to be a soft plastic to be illegal on artificial only rivers.

F
FlyBum
steelhead1 said:
What makes beads illegal on the Met?

It stems back to the definition of "Fly Angling" in the regulations and then that also includes the definition of "Artificial Fly". This is according to the State of Oregon and how they define these terms. Other states may define these in a different manor which can and does result in conflicts. Which is why it is important to know the regulations of each body of water you fish in regardless of the State.

Reactions: steelhead1
T
the_intimidator03
I think as long as you fish within the rules given to us by the state of oregon then fish as you wish. Steelhead1 I noticed you mentioned the way you rig your bead causes them to be hooked outside the mouth which is technically illegal. But you seem to realize that. Like I said before if you fish within the rules given to you by the state, fish as you wish