Going to the Willamette tomorrow morning...

Z
zarboth
my uncal is taking me my little brother and my cousin to the river to fish. i dont know what to use or what is even in the water. Basically any info is appreciated :)

S
sts slayer
i fish the willamette and i usually just use a 1 ounce weight up to 2 depends on the current with a 8# leader a nice sized leader and you dont hafto cast that far and just use a worm there should be many tipes of nongame fish in there right now so just tell me how you did.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Where on the Willamette?

zarboth said:
my uncal is taking me my little brother and my cousin to the river to fish. i dont know what to use or what is even in the water. Basically any info is appreciated :)

bass
bass
jamisonace said:
Where on the Willamette?

Where on the Willamette matters. I went down to the river today to check it out for a possible trip tomorrow and it was really high both below and above Willamette falls. Small creeks were running in clear, but the Tualatin was still a raging torrent of muddy water. Best of luck!

Z
zarboth
i just talked to him he wants me to see if i can find a good place. he says he has drove out around canby/oregon city and saw a few good spots he thought might have fish

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Steelhead are entering the Willy now. I've never fished for them up in portland though. Maybe ask your uncle what the plan is? Otherwise it's hard to give specific advice.

ok, just saw that you are in charge of finding a place!! Clackamas river has some early steelies coming in, but not many yet. Not sure about other options for you guys, but good luck!

Last edited:
Z
zarboth
well thing is no tags anything else besides the steelhead/salmon?

E
eugene1
i hope someone else can share more cause i never fish up there except for salmon.

But i know there are catfish, bass, sturgeon, and other fish up there. They'll all bite a worm on a hook! The water is gonna be high and fast i believe, so if you can find some smooth water you'll have a chance at least.

good luck,

V
veilside180sx
The Willy is high, muddy, and full of debris. Fished around the mouth and channel amongst the debris on Saturday.

You'll need a tag for sturgeon as well as salmon/steelhead. You are most likely not going to get a bass to bite this time of the year.

Can't help you with catfish...

C
chrisohm
Worm, 1oz weight, scent oil like anise or maybe shrimp. If the water is a little murky, tie on a little piece of yarn. Don't work too fast but cast close to shore. If you are near an island, stay just down stream from it. Sometimes just letting the current drag your offering along is a good practice. In times of high water new areas are open for fish to forage in. They will go for the terrestrials in flooded areas for easy picking. When that water is colder they will face into the current and just take what passes by. You will find carp, bass, catfish, pike and maybe a steelhead. If you don't have a tag, keep it in the water and get that hook out. Try not to touch them unless you have to. Look for rocky areas or submerged logs/trees.

W
wozniasm
Maddox Woods Park in West Linn (at Goat Island) can produce some catfish. It's on the Willie.
Burnside Park is next to it as well.

S
sts slayer
any luck?

Z
zarboth
sts slayer said:
any luck?
well we drove around forever! trying to find potential areas we actually ended up fishing at a spot i have swam in its pretty popular the name that i know it bye is high rock its in oregon city on the clack i got a bite but no fish. this week i need to din some areas to fish in for next weekend