Cannon Beach surfperch

M
mustardthetrout
It seems like I've fished for everything except salmon over the course of the last couple months. In between sturgeon and carp, I headed to cannon beach to catch some surfperch last week during an evening incoming tide. The fishing was lights out. It only took a few casts in the first spot I tried to hook up with these scrappy little fish, and I couldn't keep them off the hook for the next few hours. I caught enough to limit out several times over and kept a few of the larger ones to eat. Surfperch are tasty but the meat has a tendency to get really soft, so I usually keep only enough to eat in one meal. The fishing was great though, and it's always good to have a year-round fishery only an hour away from your home. As per usual, I can never post my pictures on this forum without some sort of mishap, and in this instance most of them are upside down. Oh well.

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Looks and sounds like a great day. Those are some lil fatties! :thumb: Surf fishing is still on my to-do list.

G
Gulfstream
Nice! Try the top of the filet[back] for sashimi .Its pretty tasty!I freeze it first for an hour.

bass
bass
Nice report. I have not been surf perch fishing in forever.

S
sapo
Dang those are some nice surf perch..were u using a heavy pyramid weight rig or a sliding sinker rig?

M
mustardthetrout
sapo said:
Dang those are some nice surf perch..were u using a heavy pyramid weight rig or a sliding sinker rig?

I was using a carolina rig and Gulp! sandworms with 3oz of weight. I find that this rig enables me to cover more water and fish more effectively than the standard pyramid sinker rig.

F
Fishpdx
if you mind telling me this secret location?

P
playhooky
Carp said:

There's really no secret location for these guys. The main thing I've found is that the more slope to the beach....the more perch. Fish the incoming tide. I don't suggest fishing a big heavy surf. Two ounces should hold you out there......three at the most if the surf is right. It's not necessary to cast to the 50 yard line as those little guys come in pretty tight. Just be patient and watch the timing of the waves. You'll catch on to it quickly. 2" saltwater sandworms (natural) on a size 4 baitholder hook works well. Weight at terminal end on a size 3 snap swivel with a dropper loop & hook about 18" up from your weight and then a second dropper loop & hook 12" above the first. If you don't find fish, move one way or the other until you get bit. Just stay with it.....it'll happen for you! Two of us picked up 19 at Siltcoos Beach Wednesday morning. Some of our hook ups were doubles. We put a bunch of smaller ones back. I tried to attach a pic but for some reason was unable to do so. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P
playhooky
Carp said:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447479848.840315.jpgWell ......I managed a pic here. Don't know why I couldn't attach it to my last reply but here ya go !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PK Yi
PK Yi
nice catch. good to see they are still biting this time of year. I need to head out again.