Fly fishing questions

T
the_intimidator03
I figured since this was specifically about steelhead that this section would be better suited than fly fishing section, if not move as need be please.

I am thinking of targeting some steelhead using my 6WT fly rod and am curious on what type of flies to aquire and any suggestions on tippet?

The fly line is a DT with a 6lb flourocarbon tippet. I am not sure if i should increase that to 8 lb or so?

Any suggestions are helpful

L
lilsalmon
hehe....thought you got rid of me didn't ya? Just kiddin...sorry for the hijack of sorts...carry on.

brandon4455
brandon4455
you can use anywhere for 8-12lb tippet,i prefer 10. if your using a floating line dead drifting egg patterns with a strike indicator is your best bet because a floating line wont get a swung fly down deep enough.

Here is the rig i use :

fly line:Floating line

leader: 6-9ft 10lb leader

indicator: medium or large thingamabobber set to where the flies are 4-12 inches inches off the bottom

dropper rig: one size 2-6 weighted egg pattern or marabou fly and a size 6 unweighted egg pattern 12-18 inches behind it

I have hooked a few with this but still have not landed one.

and a 6wt is quite a bit on the lightweight side FYI 7-9wt would work better for you, that is winter steelhead of course, summers a 6-8lb leader and a 6wt would do fine. 3 reasons i suggest a heavier rod for winter steelhead.

1. faster/higher water. in winter the rivers are a lot higher and fast and a heavier rod is a must to handle a fish in heavy current at times

2 weight. heavy flies and strike indicators can be tough to toss with a lighter rod like that and can make fishing very difficult and tiring

3. the fish. winter steelhead average way larger the summers and are often over 15lbs. fighting a fish that big with a 6wt can result in a broken rod rod or lactic acid build up in the fish killing the fish.

just suggestions not telling you you can't fish your 6wt for winters or anything :D. if you ever want to try fly fishing for winters send me a pm, i could show some stuff if you don't mind heading north a little ways. forgot to add a list of flies i have had success hooking fish with.

egg patterns:

lowly glowly size 4,6 orange

volcano egg,size 6 pink

glo bug size 6,pink,peach

bead head lifter size 6,pink

veiled egg size 6 pink

leeches/wet flies:

pink moal leech

you can order these at caddisflyshop.com
or go to their shop in Eugene and ask about winter steelhead nymphing and they should set you up.

EDIT: i forgot one important factor, rod length. it is important to have a long enough rod to achieve a dead drift presentation by either mending your line or high sticking it. High sticking is when you hold your rod high and follow your indicator through the drift keeping your fly line off the water but you leader and indicator are still dead drifting, this is easier on smaller streams or when you are not too far away from the water you are targeting, but this is where the rod length comes in. with a longer rod you can high stick nymph at longer distances and can mend/manage your line easier for a better presentation. i use a 9ft rod (shortest you want to go) it works for smaller streams but can even be a bit short on those. 10ft rod is the perfect size for indicator fishing for steel,7-9wt.

brandon

Last edited:
Reactions: waco
pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
This is an awesome post, Brandon. Thanks for the detailed post for the many of us heading down this path.

Reactions: waco
brandon4455
brandon4455
pinkygonzales said:
This is an awesome post, Brandon. Thanks for the detailed post for the many of us heading down this path.

no problem. im glad someone finds it valuable :D i added something on high stick nymphing plus the importance of a longer rod

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
Are you ready for some steel now, Eric? Hopefully we can get you out soon......have fun in class.

T
the_intimidator03
I appreciate the info Brandon, I do realize that I give myself the shorter end of the stick using a 6wt but I feel its a suitable challenge. I will see what I can get set up for some steelhead soon.

And Lilsalmon Not ready yet... its a bit chilly out to ride a bicycle to get my tags.

O
OnTheFly
the_intimidator03 said:
I appreciate the info Brandon, I do realize that I give myself the shorter end of the stick using a 6wt but I feel its a suitable challenge.
Brandon's right about using a heavier rod for winter steelhead. IMO fishing for winter steelies with a 6wt would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
Brandon's right about using a heavier rod for winter steelhead. IMO fishing for winter steelies with a 6wt would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

it's like using a 2wt to toss big ass dry flies to deschutes redsides during the salmonfly hatch :lol:

G
GDBrown
An 8wt rod will also allow you to land the fish sooner with less stress on the fish so if it is released it will have a better chance at returning to it normal life in the river.

O
OnTheFly
brandon4455 said:
it's like using a 2wt to toss big ass dry flies to deschutes redsides during the salmonfly hatch :lol:
Like a Snoopy rod for carp. (just being funny here intimidator not insulting you:cool:)

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
Like a Snoopy rod for carp. (just being funny here intimidator not insulting you:cool:)

if only i could give you some rep right now... :lol:

Reactions: lilsalmon
O
OnTheFly
Like Dora the explorer fishing for Tarpon from a float tube.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
onthefly said:
like dora the explorer fishing for tarpon from a float tube.

hahahaa!!!!!

O
OnTheFly
Like Pee Wee Herman fighting Chuck Norris

brandon4455
brandon4455
like a midget trying to benchpress 150lbs.

O
OnTheFly
brandon4455 said:
like a midget trying to benchpress 150lbs.
No those guys are tough and probably could rep with more!
Have we hijacked this enough or is the 8wt going to be the rod of choice.:D

O
OnTheFly
the_intimidator03 said:
I figured since this was specifically about steelhead that this section would be better suited than fly fishing section, if not move as need be please.

I am thinking of targeting some steelhead using my 6WT fly rod and am curious on what type of flies to aquire and any suggestions on tippet?

The fly line is a DT with a 6lb flourocarbon tippet. I am not sure if i should increase that to 8 lb or so?

Any suggestions are helpful
Don't leave out swinging a fly. In either case winters don't move around as much as summer fish do so in your presentation making it an easy grab for them will increase your chances.

brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
Don't leave out swinging a fly. In either case winters don't move around as much as summer fish do so in your presentation making it an easy grab for them will increase your chances.

will a floating line get the fly down deep enough though?? i figured it wouldn't even if it was a heavy fly.

B
bigsteel
its like obama coming to an election without hope and change:D