What will clear up first??

brandon4455
brandon4455
my trip for tomorrow has been cancelled due to the weather (river will probably blow out) and i have one lined up for saturday as well, and i don't want to cancel that one too. so i was wondering if anyone knows witch coastal rivers would be best to fish around saturday? or will they all be blown out? mostly fly fishing but my dad is bobber fishing. Thanks for any help.

Brandon

troutdude
troutdude
IDK, but we're gettin' quite a drenching in Cornvalley right now.

E
eggs
Saturday will be blown too of forecast holds... only small break will be Thursday and Friday it looks.... upper trask or nf nehalem would be your best option

W
wozniasm
No Jinx, No Jinx! Saturday will be perfect!!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I would risk a trip to the Salmon if I were you. It's not that far from you and has a ton of possibilities. It may be a bit messy, and the fish may be tough to find, but they aren't going to pack up and run away to avoid the rain...:lol: You're smarter than they are, you can find 'em!

Become one with the fish and you become a FISH SLAYER!!! :D

M
markasd
Don't overlook Kilchis... clears really quick and has some fish.

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:
Become one with the fish and you become a FISH SLAYER!!! :D

Or a FISH WHISPERER!

It's still rainin' in Corvallis; and it rained VERY VERY VERY hard in the wee hours of the morning.

Good luck Brandon...bag 'em n' tag 'em.

brandon4455
brandon4455
mark, i was thinking about the kilchis, its a great idea. anyone know general access on the kilchis ??

F
fish4life
Eagle creek, Big creek, Gnat creek might be an option as well. Oh and maybe the necanicum.

Y
youngbuck307
anything small and in the higher systems will clear quicker and drop faster... the fish have been held down by low water for a while so there halling butt the min they got the chance.... dont forget about the small tribs on the coast check the regs and go check out the small stuff... might not have any hatch fish but some good runs of early nates on some of them

troutdude
troutdude
brandon4455 said:
mark, i was thinking about the kilchis, its a great idea. anyone know general access on the kilchis ??

I have a book at home, that should have that information. I'll let you know what it has to say later my friend.

brandon4455
brandon4455
sweet thanks dude.

O
OnTheDrop
If you can make it to North Fork Nehalem or Necannicum ... DO IT! Fastest dropping rivers in Oregon right there..Not too mention they both fish better when they are higher.. Not blown of course. But ive been at both places and if the rivers blow and get brown they may drop to a nice steelhead green by the end of the day. Which makes for epic fishing of course. There's my 2 cents im sure you will find somewhere to fish.. Hopefully this rain stops... I think we had enough already........... haha tight lines!

brandon4455
brandon4455
thats what i like to hear. ill keep an eye on water levels and make my choice friday night, also have to look up access on both rivers. and yes, i agree the rain needs to stop. we all asked for rain and they gave us too much!! thanks for the advice

O
OnTheDrop
5033685670 - North Fork Nehalem Hatchery.. Call that and they will tell you what the NFN is sitting at.. Right now its at 80inches and fishes best between 40-50...They update the phone line sometimes multiple times a day for us fisherfolk. Also, The NFN and Necannicum will look almost identicle so if the NFN is fishable the Nec. is and vise versa.. Hope this helps if you didn't know about the hotline. Not so much access on the NFN except for some holes below the hatchery or if you know the logging roads you can run into some beautiful untouched water...! As for the Necannicum theres quite a bit of public access.

troutdude
troutdude
Brandon, if you choose the Kilchis, you will hit the "Holiday Run" of BIG Nooks. 30+ pound fish, are typical with that second Fall run. Plus, the steel (as you know) is just heating up.

Bank access, on the Kilchis however, is problematic and limited. Kilchis County Park is a good bet. There are couple of access points near the Logging Bridge on the south side. You can Pay-to-fish near the Curl Rd. Bridge. And, that's about it.

According to my book, the Necanicum and NF Nehalem, appear to have an even tighter access ratio. So, maybe Steelmon can OFFer up some spots. Maybe you can PM him, for more info.

Source: Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon, by John Shewey, Wilderness Adventures Press, 1st. Ed., 2007

B
Boombollie
Y'all think the Slaw will be fishable on Sunday? The wife and I are planning a nice pre-rosebowl trip for the morning.

P
plumb2fish
Lake Creek will fish for sure, and there will be hoardes of people there too.....

brandon4455
brandon4455
right on thanks for the tips td and steelmonkiller. really considering the nehalem or kilches but one of the small coastal rivers closer to me might possibly be in shape by saturday.

B
Boombollie
Any good access on Lake Creek? I've never fished that far upstream.