New Zealand: fishing the Tongariro

O
OnTheFly
The town of Turangi (too-rang-ee) is located near the mouth of the Tongariro River where it enters Lake Taupo in north island New Zealand. The better fishing is done in winter (June through September) when most fish enter the river to spawn, much like our steelhead, however fish can be caught year round in the lower stretches. The river is gin clear and sighting large fish makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. No fish for me yet but my sister caught three fish just before dark last night on dry flies and we will try again this evening too. More later.......

P1010940.jpg

P1010954.jpg

P1010957.jpg

P1010959.jpg

Reactions: brandon4455
W
waco
Photoshop!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I saw him yesterday in the clack!! :lol:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Awesome, Jim! :clap: You look like you're having a blast. We're expecting to see that "I got a fish" grin tomorrow.:D

N
ninja2010
shorts and t-shirt in december... luckeeee youuuuu.

is that a bobber in the first shot?

Reactions: lilsalmon
Irishrover
Irishrover
Looks like a great place to be......

Reactions: eggs and OnTheFly
L
lilsalmon
wow, Jim...it looks wonderful. Lucky you to get to experience that. Can't wait to see pics of fishys....

E
eggs
Bobber fishermen

Reactions: OnTheFly
L
lilsalmon
I like the last pic...its perfect.

Reactions: eggs and OnTheFly
B
bigsteel
excellent pics jim,looks like your having a great time over there.you need to show them new zealand fish the peacock stimulator

O
OnTheFly
Sinkline said:
"New Zealand"..., is that a town out in SE Oregon? I didn't think there were any world traveler fly fishers here amongst the common folk on OFF. :lol:

OTF, embrace the bobber, bobbers are cool! A bobber is a bobber is a bobber no matter what it's made of! :cool:

Hope a stillwater guy like yourself can muster enough stream mojo to hook-up a bunch of those fish!

Looking forward to a couple fish photos!

Randy
I don't know Randy, calling it a bobber instead of an indicator to me is like calling a fly rod a fly pole but just for you I'll work on it. lol.

With an our of daylight left, I made my way back to the river. You can fish until midnight in NZ so casting in the dark is common for Kiwi fishermen. (BTW Kiwi, like the bird, is also a friendly way to call a New Zealander) Barely able to see, the rise began. Still no fish for me even with one of Bigsteel's hand tied Peacock Stimulators. We stopped fishing around 10:00 and, using headlamps pointed down into the water, we made our way back to the to the shore then to the car. Driving back at night, in the rain, on the opposite side of the road and opposite steering column is better than any ride at Disneyland.

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
I don't know Randy, calling it a bobber instead of an indicator to me is like calling a fly rod a fly pole but just for you I'll work on it. lol..

the only differnce between a fly rod, and a fly pole.... is about a hundred bucks;) looks fun, wish I was there!

brandon4455
brandon4455
awesome pics..that looks like a blast

B
bigsteel
OnTheFly said:
I don't know Randy, calling it a bobber instead of an indicator to me is like calling a fly rod a fly pole but just for you I'll work on it. lol.

With an our of daylight left, I made my way back to the river. You can fish until midnight in NZ so casting in the dark is common for Kiwi fishermen. (BTW Kiwi, like the bird, is also a friendly way to call a New Zealander) Barely able to see, the rise began. Still no fish for me even with one of Bigsteel's hand tied Peacock Stimulators. We stopped fishing around 10:00 and, using headlamps pointed down into the water, we made our way back to the to the shore then to the car. Driving back at night, in the rain, on the opposite side of the road and opposite steering column is better than any ride at Disneyland.

those new zealand fish dont know what a good stonefly is:lol::lol:

Reactions: brandon4455
N
ninja2010
time to swing an intruder, jim...

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
the only differnce between a fly rod, and a fly pole.... is about a hundred bucks;)
Not unless you're a snob like me.:cool:

J
JeannaJigs
Holy crap, what a lucky turd!!! Looks like an amazing place. New Zealand is a place I have always wanted to travel to. Know why? No snakes.

jamisonace
jamisonace
This is my dream trip. I've watched videos of huge trout eating mice as they swim across rivers. Saw one gutted and it had a a half dozen or so mice in it's stomach. Post more pics so I can live this trip vicariously through you!

O
OnTheFly
jamisonace said:
This is my dream trip. I've watched videos of huge trout eating mice as they swim across rivers. Saw one gutted and it had a a half dozen or so mice in it's stomach. Post more pics so I can live this trip vicariously through you!
More pictures are yet to come of the river but no fish. The rain blew it out the last day we were there and robbed us of precious fishing time. I will have more to say about this place later......

J
JeannaJigs
Jim, I look forward to seeing more photos of this amazing place that so many of us are green with envy of you having the trip of a lifetime to see.