First self made spinners

B
BaldTexan
Played hooky from work today to fish Tillamook bay with a buddy and after a couple of fruitless hours of trolling with my "go to" spinners, I tied on the first trolling spinner I made last night and BAM. 2 chrome nooks in 10 minutes. Pretty stoked!
90dc876d2f68190b431b36d73c90fc8b.jpg

Tossed one to my buddy and he tied it on and brought another chromer to the boat 15 minutes later. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
troutmasta
Bam!

Was that the blades you bought the other night?

B
BaldTexan
I made some with those but didn't use them. Bought some different colors for tidewater trolling.

D
DirectDrive
Nice job !

O
OnTheDrop
Lucky sweater!

Those look like some of the ones we lost up the road today! I really love Fall Nooks.... Until the Steelhead arrive.

B
BaldTexan
Well....I DID have my lucky shirt on underneath :)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
love those fish, only thing better would have been to have the spinners hanging out of their mouths!

troutdude
troutdude
rogerdodger said:
love those fish, only thing better would have been to have the spinners hanging out of their mouths!

Agreed. Nice feesh BT!

Got a pic, of your new spinners? I'd love to see, what you devised.

B
BaldTexan
Nothing special and a little crude and I'll remake some of them a bit better now after my initial attempt....but they caught us fish while trolling past the sad, bored faces of folks sitting in guides boats trolling without success. LOL....so I was a happy camper! A couple were just remade from some store bought spinners that had been pranged up pretty bad from fish. The catching combo yesterday was the solid red colorado blade with black beads. I certainly don't mind helpful critiques. Now I need a better selection of beads. This all started because I couldn't find the color combos I wanted at several stores and I was tired of paying $9 for a spinner! The chartreuse/green dot with red and black beads to the far right was the original one I wanted to make as I had one like it slammed hard on the Columbia and lost it and the fish to a bad knot that broke.

Reactions: rogerdodger
M
montym
Awesome my friend, this is good stuff. Not nice to make fun of people in guide boats with long faces, I was one of them yesterday. 3 guys from the bank netted 6 between them to our zero in less than 2 hours. Ultimately in that hole folks got 11 to my buddy's one. We hooked and lost about 8 I think...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

B
BaldTexan
Wow. Tough break hooking that many without getting them in the boat. Didn't mean to sound like I was making fun of anyone not catching. I was just stoked because my cobbled together spinners were out fishing the pros :)

C_Run
C_Run
montym said:
Awesome my friend, this is good stuff. Not nice to make fun of people in guide boats with long faces, I was one of them yesterday. 3 guys from the bank netted 6 between them to our zero in less than 2 hours. Ultimately in that hole folks got 11 to my buddy's one. We hooked and lost about 8 I think...

One out of eight?? Do you sharpen your hooks? You might check them, you know, the "thumbnail" test.

M
montym
BT, not complaining at all, just mentioned as it will probably be funny to anyone not sitting in that boat ... Maybe even I'd be able to laugh at it in a few years..

C_run, good point that I'll make a mental note of, but I reckon they were good. Can't really guess why that happened...

troutdude
troutdude
BT, those spinners look well made. Glad you got some, while the pro's tricks weren't working. Get the right colors, proper depth, and the right trolling speed and BAM! Well done.

B
BaldTexan
troutdude said:
BT, those spinners look well made. Glad you got some, while the pro's tricks weren't working. Get the right colors, proper depth, and the right trolling speed and BAM! Well done.

Thanks. You nailed it there. Sometimes you have the right combo immediately but usually it takes a little trial and error of trolling speed, depth, and color combinations to find what induces a bite. Last season it was my most productive "pre-rain" fall salmon catching method by far. Now that we're getting rain, I can put them away and get the bobbers back out for next few weeks!

O
OnTheDrop
C_Run said:
One out of eight?? Do you sharpen your hooks? You might check them, you know, the "thumbnail" test.

Haha. Monty was in the boat with his buddy Dun and I. Hooks were sharp as they come. I've never seen so many fish come off in a short amount of time. I don't think the fish were fully acclimated to the river so they weren't munching the bait for long, sometimes the bobber wouldn't even go down fully. At least that's what I'm telling myself. If they could find a way off, they did. It was a day where the fish won, for sure.

Sorry for the De-Rail Paul.

Good looking spinners. Bay City?

Last edited:
B
BaldTexan
Those biters are tricky. They require a home run hook set!

We fished the upper bay. We had hookups spread out from The ramp all the way to Rays with the final fish on the way back to the ramp.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Reminds me of a rare day I got to take my wife to the Elk for nooks. Slow all day until we hit a hole with bobbers. 5 on in about 30 minutes and only landed one.

SteelmonKiller20 said:
Haha. Monty was in the boat with his buddy Dun and I. Hooks were sharp as they come. I've never seen so many fish come off in a short amount of time. I don't think the fish were fully acclimated to the river so they weren't munching the bait for long, sometimes the bobber wouldn't even go down fully. At least that's what I'm telling myself. If they could find a way off, they did. It was a day where the fish won, for sure.

Sorry for the De-Rail Paul.

Good looking spinners. Bay City?

J
Joshuablue77
First self made spinners

Jamisonace
were you on the dock at elk city campground or we're you in a boat on the elk??

F
Fish
Nice lookin' spinners! So great that you were catching fish with your homemade lures! It would have been nice if someone asked "what are you using?".