Good pictures of silver salmon?

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Hey gang,

Does anyone have any really good pictures of coho that show anatomical detail? Things like scales, gill arches, fin rays, things of that nature. Pretty much just "the fish" not your typical grip & grin type picture. Interested in color too, live (or very recently dead) fish preferred.

I am wanting to do a drawing of a coho, as realistic as possible. I have been collecting images from several sources, and it occurred to me that this might be a good place to ask.

Regards,

SS

B
BaldTexan
Do a search on Google Images for Coho Salmon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I'll take that option under advisement, officer. :nonchalance:

B
BaldTexan
I'd post mine but they are just bloody fish held up for the camera. I did a google image search and there are some really good images

B
BaldTexan
FYI - I am a professional illustrator. I kind of know what you're looking for. There are a lot of good images showing anatomical details.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Are you really? Wow, that is cool. Yeah, a lot of great images floating around the web... just sort of being stupid, figured I would ask, you never know. I just took possession of several years back issues of STS magazine (thanks C_Run!) and have been reading/chopping away at those.

I have an artistic aptitude but no training and little practice. I guess I figured time was wasting, and I should pick up some pencils.

I was making good progress on a salmon, actually, but was defeated by my efforts to utilize a new (to me) technique of scraping pigment off to reveal highlights on the scales. You can only re-work so many times before the surface really starts to go south with that. I think I need to play around with the implement, I suspect a duller blade might help.

I will do some scale studies before I start again, but I am not going to give up.

Regards,

SS

B
BaldTexan
That's cool. What type of media were you using and on what surface?

T
troutmasta
Not exactly what you asked for but no one else had anything so I figured id post some close ups

8wxo45.jpg
slmatc.jpg
jkvngh.jpg
nq21cz.jpg