Launching on the Siuslaw

E
Eoughphily
Hey guys, I'm planning on heading out Sunday morning to do some salmon fishing on the siuslaw. I have never boated on the slaw before and am looking for some advice. Where should I launch from? Is there a charge to launch and parking? Also, what kind of gear should I use for trolling? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the big Port of Siuslaw triple launch is on Harbor St. and it is free but if you park in their lot, which is full now just after sunrise, it is $2. Otherwise you find the closest street parking and walk back. this is the furthest west launch.

Siuslaw Marina & RV Park has a launch at Cushman by the RR bridge and I think they charge $5.

up closer to Mapleton there is an ODFW free launch at Tiernan, no dock, fairly steep but easy to use except at very low tide.

at Mapleton there is a Lane County Launch at Steelhead Dr. right beside an RV park. no dock but a walkway goes out beside the launch so you can hold the boat while someone parks. free to launch but there is a fee to park.

my suggestion if driving over on 126 would be to launch at the Siuslaw Marina, puts you right on good fishing without the potential chaos of the Harbor St. launch...

cheers, roger

Last edited:
E
Eoughphily
Thank you for the info Roger. I ended up launching at Cushman on Sunday about 1130. Trolled back and forth between 101 and RR bridge for about 6 hours, not a single hookup. The whole time saw one hooked/lost and another caught. Not sure if I was doing something wrong or it just wasn't a good day for fishing. I was trolling two lines using K14 and K15x with a flasher and a herring fillet tied to the lures.

E
eugene1
You may have better luck using herring or spinners there.

Good luck,

Eoughphily said:
Thank you for the info Roger. I ended up launching at Cushman on Sunday about 1130. Trolled back and forth between 101 and RR bridge for about 6 hours, not a single hookup. The whole time saw one hooked/lost and another caught. Not sure if I was doing something wrong or it just wasn't a good day for fishing. I was trolling two lines using K14 and K15x with a flasher and a herring fillet tied to the lures.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
You may have better luck using herring or spinners there.

Good luck,

ding ding ding.

E
Eoughphily
Thank you for the advise. I definitely have a lot to learn. The only salmon experience I have is throwing spinners off rhododendron and the only experience I have fishing from a boat is trolling for lake trout with a Ford fender and a wedding ring tipped with a worm.