Ocean 'any' coho opens Sept.4

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
lots of people have been waiting for this, Cape Falcon to Humbug Mt.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/salmon/Regulations/docs/2015_Ocean_Sport_Summary_Map.pdf

Important regulation item in the link above- any boat legally retaining a wild coho in the ocean is not allowed to fish for any fish species once entering water where/when it is not legal to retain that fish:

• It is unlawful to fish for or take and retain any legal species while possessing on board
any species not allowed to be taken in that area at that time.

Last edited:
B
BaldTexan
Yessir! I'll be out there Saturday :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
coyo7e
rogerdodger said:
lots of people have been waiting for this, Cape Falcon to Humbug Mt.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/salmon/Regulations/docs/2015_Ocean_Sport_Summary_Map.pdf

Important regulation item in the link above- any boat legally retaining a wild coho in the ocean is not allowed to fish for any fish species once entering water where/when it is not legal to retain that fish:

• It is unlawful to fish for or take and retain any legal species while possessing on board
any species not allowed to be taken in that area at that time.
Does this mean that only people with boats can take coho until mid-month?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
coyo7e said:
Does this mean that only people with boats can take coho until mid-month?

depends how you look at it. whenever/wherever chinook or steelhead are open in NW or SW zones, unless modified by special regs, you can retain clipped coho...so that is that.

as for wild coho, you can at present only retain them in the ocean, so across the bar of any coastal river, but a boat could be considered optional (swim fishing in the ocean? paddle board fishing?)..maybe... I am not sure what casting on the outside of a jetty is considered...

but back to reality, the special wild coho season in some coastal rivers opens Sept.15 and until then, if it isn't clipped and you kill it, I think you are looking at $600 and loss of the fish.

cheers, roger

D
DrTheopolis
rogerdodger said:
I am not sure what casting on the outside of a jetty is considered...

At the end of the jetty, where you'd find the coho, I believe the correct term is "freaking nuts."

C
coyo7e
DrTheopolis said:
At the end of the jetty, where you'd find the coho, I believe the correct term is "freaking nuts."
haha that's pretty much how I feel every time I attempt it!

B
BaldTexan
Went out of Garibaldi and trolled the salt Saturday and couldn't find a salmon anywhere so we went back to the mayhem at the bar and snagged a couple of clipped coho and a brute steelhead that was clipped as well on #7 red/white hoochie spinner behind a flasher and diver. There were plenty of salmon marked on the finder moving through the jaws. Didn't see many caught. We tried herring, Brads, spoons with squid skirts with no luck, and then finally got bit on the spinners. Then the grass got so bad we couldn't keep our gear in more than 30 seconds at a time so bagged it. Nice fellow at the cleaning station gave us one of his 54 tuna! Bonus. Grilled tuna steaks tonight! ...then our neighbor camper invited us to share in his bounty of crab he just boiled up and now another fishing buddy. Fun weekend of fishing, a little bit of catching, camping and good friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent. I hear the boats out OFF the Siuslaw mouth are finding some fish, a mix of coho and chinook sounds like..cheers, roger

R
rippin fish lips
I believe if your fishing the ocean side of a jetty, it would be completely legal to retain a wild coho right now. Just like it is legal to use a gaff on the ocean side of the jetty. Even if your past the deadline but on the ocean side, it should still be legal. The iffy part about that would be the walk back with the fish. Tring to get a warden to believe you caught it on the ocean side might be tuff,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rippin fish lips said:
I believe if your fishing the ocean side of a jetty, it would be completely legal to retain a wild coho right now. Just like it is legal to use a gaff on the ocean side of the jetty. Even if your past the deadline but on the ocean side, it should still be legal. The iffy part about that would be the walk back with the fish. Tring to get a warden to believe you caught it on the ocean side might be tuff,

best case would be to have the landing on video...at a minimum, you better have only single point barbless hooks, any trebles or barbs is going to tip the scales against you and, ouch, there goes the fish and here comes the paperwork...

T
The Lucky Duck
We had a pretty good bite out of Newport last weekend. 270 fow, off lighthouse, 150 otw. shad under a houchie. There is a cooler finger of water there, it seemed to be moving north.

R
Rytelrev
Ocean 'any' coho opens Sept.4

J

H
Heceta_Rick
Make sure that your "any" Coho is an adult Coho! There are no jacks in the ocean.....
I landed at the Florence ramp and watched the fish counter confiscate 2 ocean caught undersize Coho
from a guy who said "hey I thought you could have 5 jacks a day".

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Heceta_Rick said:
Make sure that your "any" Coho is an adult Coho! There are no jacks in the ocean.....
I landed at the Florence ramp and watched the fish counter confiscate 2 ocean caught undersize Coho
from a guy who said "hey I thought you could have 5 jacks a day".

ouch, that is a great example of not understanding the regulations, chinook under 24", steelhead under 20", and coho under 16" must be released in the ocean, they are "shakers".