Feds warn of overfishing

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Story from the Oregonian:

The federal agency in charge of managing fisheries has ruled four stocks of Pacific Northwest salmon are being overfished.
The National Marine Fisheries Service and the Department of Commerce on Wednesday posted a notice in the Federal Register of the excessive fishing pressures on Chinook and Coho salmon in the Columbia River Basin and along the Washington coast.
The notice, which included overfishing findings for North Pacific swordfish, is meant to alert fishery managers that fishing pressures are driving salmon populations down.
Federal law requires the Pacific Fishery Management Council to take immediate action to end the overfishing.
The notice covers the following four salmon populations:
Summer Chinook in the upper river area of the Columbia River BasinFall Chinook in the Willapa Bay area of the Washington coast
Fall Chinook in the Grays Harbor area of the Washington coast
Coho along the Hoh area of the Washington coast.
-- Kelly House
khouse@oregonian.com

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I'm shocked... shocked to hear that overfishing is going on here. Round up the usual suspects.

C
ChezJfrey
rogerdodger said:
IRound up the usual suspects.

You mean troutmasta?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
ChezJfrey said:
You mean troutmasta?

perhaps we should round up twice the usual number of suspects- troutmasta and tanner!

S
sapo
lol ^^

troutdude
troutdude
rogerdodger said:
perhaps we should round up twice the usual number of suspects- troutmasta and tanner!

x3. Lol

R
rippin fish lips
Too many people wanting to learn and see what a fish feels like on the end of the line. It's a mad house out there almost anywhere you go when the fish are in. Ocean, bays and rivers. We all want that tug haha. I don't think it's just the northern part thats getting overfished either. It's our whole coast line. It's gettin worse every year with the drastic increase in people searching for a tug.

a lot of us just know how to catch fish and im sure a lot of it may have to do with miss handled fish! Especially off the Jetties.

C
coyo7e
Yes, I totally blame the new fisherpeople who spend loads of money on gear and bait and lures and who don't manage to fill or often even put a marker onto their tags - must be the problem.

:popcorn:

D
DrTheopolis
Nevermind that there's less licenses and tags sold now than 20 years ago, despite a higher population.

I think Rippin's theory might be incorrect.

The problems mentioned in the article seem to be caused by commercials, not sports.

O
OnTheDrop
Idk what you are all talking about....I've been catching Salmon all week with maybe a boat or two in sight.

:thumb:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Idk what you are all talking about....I've been catching Salmon all week with maybe a boat or two in sight.

:thumb:

yeah but let's face it, you can catch salmon in a mud puddle beside the road...

B
bagold53
x2 on rogerdodger