Hook keeps popping out - switch to braid?

A
alm21
This is my second year at attempting to get into winter steelhead but this year, I'm really putting some time in. Bonked one so far but this week has been a lesson in major disappointment. On three different trips out this past week, I've lost my fish (3 hook ups). The one this morning was a pig, had my pole bent in half! The problem has been the same each time. The hook pops out after fighting the fish a while (2 of the 3 times the fish was right at the bank). I need to make an adjustment or I'm going to loose my mind and freak out. Never had this issue with salmon (knowing that steelhead have the hard upper plate).

In all three scenarios, I was drift fishing. I've been using Owner hooks and I doubt they are the problem. I think what I may need to do is switch over to braid (30-40lb). Currently, I have 12lb Pline mono mainline and 10lb leader on my spinning rod. I'm thinking that if I go with braid, I might get deeper hook sets since it won't stretch like the mono. Looking for some validation, does this sound like a good adjustment?

A
alm21
why isn't this posting?

J
jrowley
I have always used level wind reels so when I set the hook I thumb it down tight. Maybe if you grab the spool for the initial hook set, it will drive the hook deeper. Also, how flexable is your rod? You might want to consider a pole with more backbone. Good luck.

H
halibuthitman
the mistake is not in the gear, you sound like your using a good system, you are giving these fish slack... or trying to fight them when you should just let them lead, you might also be not fighting them enough to bank them quickly, there is a sweet spot for banking a fish, too soon they break off, too long they unhook... Im afraid the problem is something you are or are not doing, plus the steel just get off, the solution is to hook more fish, therfore you get to bonk more fish-

H
hunt-fish-trap
on my spinning reels I went with 14lb fireline and my level winds have 30lb tuff line and I have never looked back. the mono in my opinion stretches way to much to get a positive hook set, but thats just my 2 cents and own experience. owners are just as good as any other hook on the market but last year I went to the gama wide gaps and im banking alomost 95% of all hook ups now

J
jawjacker
Loosing steelhead because the hook just pops out is a very common problem that everyone experiences no matter what gear they use. Steelhead just have an uncanny ability to shake loose and that's one of the reasons why landing 1 is such an accomplishment. I usually always loose at least 1 fish every trip out. Sounds like you got the right gear and are doing the right things to hook up. Just have confidence in your gear & abilities and you will over come this little rough patch your going through. Trust me everybody gose through it. I know it sucks just keep your head up and try wearing a different hat or something.

A
alm21
jrowley said:
I have always used level wind reels so when I set the hook I thumb it down tight. Maybe if you grab the spool for the initial hook set, it will drive the hook deeper. Also, how flexable is your rod? You might want to consider a pole with more backbone. Good luck.
Pole is good. The bite can be so subtle, would be hard to palm the spool on the hook set.

halibuthitman said:
the mistake is not in the gear, you sound like your using a good system, you are giving these fish slack... or trying to fight them when you should just let them lead, you might also be not fighting them enough to bank them quickly, there is a sweet spot for banking a fish, too soon they break off, too long they unhook... Im afraid the problem is something you are or are not doing, plus the steel just get off, the solution is to hook more fish, therfore you get to bonk more fish-
It could be me but I hate to think so but it could be an unlucky streak. In all scenarios I don't think I gave them to much slack. If anything, I may have horsed them a bit but its hard to say, I like to work a fish a little unless they shoot into the bank for me. Tough luck I guess. Trying to see how I can tune my game. It could be poor technique on the initial hook set. I may switch lines just to vet out the issue.

hunt-fish-trap said:
on my spinning reels I went with 14lb fireline and my level winds have 30lb tuff line and I have never looked back. the mono in my opinion stretches way to much to get a positive hook set, but thats just my 2 cents and own experience. owners are just as good as any other hook on the market but last year I went to the gama wide gaps and im banking alomost 95% of all hook ups now
Regarding the Fireline, do you use the braided or fused version?

brandon4455
brandon4455
i have the same problem..i can't keep a steelhead on my line to save my life! LOL. better to have hooked and lost then never hooked em at all.

A
alm21
jawjacker said:
Loosing steelhead because the hook just pops out is a very common problem that everyone experiences no matter what gear they use. Steelhead just have an uncanny ability to shake loose and that's one of the reasons why landing 1 is such an accomplishment. I usually always loose at least 1 fish every trip out. Sounds like you got the right gear and are doing the right things to hook up. Just have confidence in your gear & abilities and you will over come this little rough patch your going through. Trust me everybody gose through it. I know it sucks just keep your head up and try wearing a different hat or something.

Believe it or not, that's good to hear. It's been extra frustrating on the last two trips because the fishing was hot and I'm watching guys land fish while I trip on my d***. I guess I'm learning why catching Steelhead is such a coveted experience. Now I have tunnel vision and may forgo all responsibilities and obligations until I land one. :D

K
Kevinb5688
If you fight the fish to long it stretches the hole your hook makes in there mouth.
And a lot of people set there drag to lose. I use a electronic fish scale and hook a swivel on my line. Put it on the fish scale. Pull against your reel until it registers to what you want.
I set my 8 lb line at 7.5 lbs- 9 lbs depending on how much my rod absorbs. My lines breaking point seems high for 8 lb test and i have never had a problem from 7.5-9 lbs.
It seems like overkill but i dont like loseing fish, i set it and leave it all year. I have never broke off a fish since i have done this, and having the maxium drag tension produces better hook ups.
Remember, its a battle between you and the fish, he has every advantage, so you have to be as prepared as you can!

A
alm21
brandon4455 said:
i have the same problem..i can't keep a steelhead on my line to save my life! LOL. better to have hooked and lost then never hooked em at all.
Misery loves company! :) Tell you what, my confidences is up 100% from this time last year because I am indeed hooking'em now.

A
alm21
Kevinb5688 said:
If you fight the fish to long it stretches the hole your hook makes in there mouth.
And a lot of people set there drag to lose. I use a electronic fish scale and hook a swivel on my line. Put it on the fish scale. Pull against your reel until it registers to what you want.
I set my 8 lb line at 7.5 lbs- 9 lbs depending on how much my rod absorbs. My lines breaking point seems high for 8 lb test and i have never had a problem from 7.5-9 lbs.
It seems like overkill but i dont like loseing fish, i set it and leave it all year. I have never broke off a fish since i have done this, and having the maxium drag tension produces better hook ups.
Remember, its a battle between you and the fish, he has every advantage, so you have to be as prepared as you can!

That's interesting. I am a loose drag kinda of guy and that could be part of it. Just got a fish scale for Xmas. I'll have to give that a try.

J
jawjacker
Don't over think it or you will just wind up screwing your self. All ya got to do is go out there with a positive attitude and you will be just fine. Heck you already got one this season that's better then a few guys I know. You will get um next time I promise ya.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
salmon_slayer87
How are you losing the fish? What i mean is...is the fish jumping when it spits the hook? or just in the water fightin hard?
I have been actively fishing for steels for the last 6 to 7 years. I have watched and learned from my cousins whom grew up on the willamette.
They catch a ton of fish...but for everyone they land, they lose 3 to 5. What i have learned watching them...sometimes you win...sometimes you lose. Another thing i have picked up from them, water levels. sounds stupid but if your use to fighting them in shallow(er) water...fighting them in higher water can be completely different/ harder.

The hardest thing to learn is hooking the fish...so you are already on the right track.
just keep after them man, never stop casting. Once you figure out what works best for you...everything will fall into place.
good luck.
keep the line tight,
Dale

K
Kevinb5688
Im not saying to over think it, but if your like me, when your not fishing your thinking about fishing and how you can improve.
If your drag is to loose and you set your hook, it isn't going to get in there hard jaw far enough. If its to tight and they bolt, snapped line. Why not make sure its perfect?

S
steelhead1
Nobody has mentioned hook size. Too small and you often dont get a nice deep hook set,too big and you have to set harder to get good penetration.Experience and good advice will help you figure out what works best for you. When fishing gear I run Gami. oct. size 6thru2 depending on technique and water conditions.Your biggest advantage, imo, is a SHARP hook. If I feel like I didn't get a good solid hookset,I will often give a good "double set" for good penetration,however, if you only had the fish be a little tag of flesh,this may be your undoing.I will always take the risk and hit it hard. Good luck,and remember, when the going gets tough,only the P*ssies go home:D

S
salmon_slayer87
Oh and as for the line change...I wouldnt change to braid. The biggest reason i dont like it....if you break off your setup...you have braided line down in your fishing hole. That is never a good obstacle to try and miss. if anything...switch to a heavier mono mainline/leader.
just my 2 cents

Wilsonriverfisher
Wilsonriverfisher
Yeah you should at least buy some braided and try it out. I use braid to flip spinners and I wont go back now...

S
steelhead1
salmon_slayer87 said:
Oh and as for the line change...I wouldnt change to braid. The biggest reason i dont like it....if you break off your setup...you have braided line down in your fishing hole. That is never a good obstacle to try and miss. if anything...switch to a heavier mono mainline/leader.
just my 2 cents
That is a good point,braid in the river does suck.But you should never lose ANY braid,unless there is a knot or nick up on the line,braid should break at the terminal knot,or at the leader (use leader that is rated lighter). I havnt lost a fish or a bobber or any braided line since I started using it. I never really understand why I always see 30 yds of line hanging out of trees:think:.