Pacific City kayak fishing report

M
mustardthetrout
Headed out with two other guys yesterday out of Cape Kiwanda. Surf was reasonably calm (2-3 feet at 15 seconds) at around 7:30, the time we were launching. I mainly fished on the near side of the rock, as it looked a little too rough to venture to the far side. Caught plenty of fish. I caught more than enough black rockfish to limit out but only kept three, as well as some small lingcod and a flounder. Although fish were being caught on white curly tails (3-6oz leadheads), shrimp flies, homemade jigs, etc., the most effective lures were those pre-tied squid rigs. There must have been lots of squid in the water at the time, because I kept having fish throw them up at the surface. I headed back in at about 9:30. Below are some pictures of the fish caught that day.

IMG_1796.jpgIMG_1798.jpgIMG_1794.jpgIMG_1803.jpgIMG_1795.jpgIMG_1801.jpg

Reactions: rogerdodger
T
TimberTodd
That looks like a fantastic day. Ocean appears to be pretty calm.

bass
bass
Looks like a great day to be out there. Thanks for the report.

C_Run
C_Run
Awesome and thanks for the report. I just made my first kayak trip to the ocean recently and am itching to get back out. Everyone seems to do really well at Pacific City. I just fish the river there, though, surf is too scary.

D
Denduran87
Went out on the prowler out of Bandon a couple of weekends ago and everyone of the rock fish were spitting out squid.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Awesome report...

troutdude
troutdude
Great report, and great pics! Well done Mr. Mustard.

One question though...

Did you put any Ketchup on them, at home???

Sorry Mr. Bass; the devil made me do it! LOL

T
taconight2night
Ahhhh black rockfish, reminds me of home :)