Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Sink Tip

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
So I've caught a few steelhead on a spinning rod but am brand new to flyfishing for them. I just scored a sweet deal on a Sage SP 9' #8 and am now studying my options for line & technique styles.

So I'm curious. If you're a steelhead/salmon fisherperson, what type of line do you use & why?

B
bigsteel
floating line

Reactions: halibuthitman
W
waco
^^ yep, that!

troutdude
troutdude
If you can afford it...get an extra spool for your reel. Put floating line on one spool, and sinking on the other.

M
mezzfin
Floating, cuz I can make a floating line sink if I need to. Making a sink tip float is quite a bit harder.

O
OnTheFly
Choose a line or method to get down to the fish especially winter fish. If you plan to drag nymphs across the bottom using an indicator then use floating. You can also get the fly to the fish with a sink tip or full sink. Take troutdude's advice and don't limit yourself by just carrying one line. Different lines on spare spools allows you to adjust to the conditions.

V
veilside180sx
More often than not, you have to get the fly in the fish's face. (although in rare circumstances they will shoot across a hole for one)

You can do that either by weighing down the fly with a floating line, or using a sinking line to drag the fly down with the line. They both have "ideal" circumstances that they work best with, but that's not to say that you can't make do with either one on any given day either.

F
FlyBum
It really just depends on if you plan on swinging or nymphing?? If you will be mainly nymphing then a floating line will be what you will want. If you will be mainly swinging, then you will want a sink tip of some degree (grains) for different depth. And, like TD said that would be the way to go at some point, two spools. Since you are just starting I would suggest a floating line. Nymphing will be more productive for you to begin fly fishing for steelhead. You can always get a section of sink tip line, like a MOW tip, and attach it line to line through the loops, similar to a VersiTip, without buying the whole package.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Excellent advice, Flybum. Deciding which way to go has been a major part of the challenge, but I think you're right about nymphing being a good start. Sounds like starting with a floating line is the way to go.

Much appreciated!