New to fishing in Oregon questions

L
leitmotiv
I would have posted this to Fishing in General, but as a new member it appears I don't have that privilege.

Sometime in July I'd like to take my son somewhere up by Detroit Lake to go fishing. I don't own a boat, but I would like to go up a creek and try some fly-fishing. As a wee lad, I grew up fishing with my father in the prime fishing country of Wisconsin (the land of more than 10,000 lakes - sorry, couldn't resist the dig at Minnesota and their license plates). I've caught my fair share of northern pike, muskie, walleye, sunfish, kokanee, bass, trout, heck even frogs, turtles and snakes, and the like, so I feel like I have an intuitive sense of what to do. The problem is, I'm not too familiar with Oregon fishing country (though I do know my way around caving country) and it has been several years since I last fished. So I have some questions:

1. Is it a good time to go flyfishing for trout up the Breitenbush River in July or August? Or any other creek off of Detroit Lake for that matter?
2. If not July, where should I go for flyfishing that is closest to Bend (my residence) and where I could camp, preferably at a wild camp and not some pay site.
3. Is there any tried and true bait that works year round for trout and similar fish? Worms?
4. How small can a creek be before it becomes unfishable? Is there like a general rule of thumb for elevation or creek gerth?

Thanks for your help.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! In all honesty, I don't know if you will find live fish in Breitenbush with the low water level and water temp as high as 76+. You have some amazing lakes, rivers and streams in your area. I am not that familiar, so will let someone else give you that info.

B
BaldTexan
I've only fished in the lake itself, but I always see people fly fishing the Deschutes River just north of Crane Prairie Reservoir. There are a few pullouts where the river is right next to the Cascade Hiway.

Worms and hellgrammites are always a good bait for trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

I'd suggest the Little North Fork, of the North Santiam.

BTW, double check the regs. Some streams do NOT allow any bait (not even artificial baits). Only lures and flies.

L
leitmotiv
troutdude said:
Welcome to OFF.

I'd suggest the Little North Fork, of the North Santiam.

BTW, double check the regs. Some streams do NOT allow any bait (not even artificial baits). Only lures and flies.

Are you talking about by Elkhorn? I was spying that river from aerials... looks good, lots of falls. Is the Whitewater Creek of the Santiam too small of a creek?

Also, is it really too warm in these mountain fed streams/creeks?

troutdude
troutdude
Yes; the Elkhorn area. It's a beautiful stream and area.

I looked at the regs; and there is NO bait allowed in the Little North Fork. However, you can use bait if you fish the Breitenbush River. The LNF may be cooler, than the Breitenbush. But I don't know that for sure.

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
leitmotiv said:
Also, is it really too warm in these mountain fed streams/creeks?

this year is way OFF normal, almost no snowpack to feed the streams with cool water through the summer, many will get lower and warmer than ever...cheers, roger

L
leitmotiv
Where should I go fishing near Bend this time of year?

Also, how is the Santiam this time of year?

S
sapo
Santiam is good, near Bend I would try the upper deschutes or the fall.
As far as stream size, I have found trout in streams just a couple feet wide in places, but it really depends.

L
leitmotiv
sapo said:
Santiam is good, near Bend I would try the upper deschutes or the fall.
As far as stream size, I have found trout in streams just a couple feet wide in places, but it really depends.

Are there any waterfalls on the Deschutes or Falls that restricts the flow of fish? Meaning, you won't find any of the fish above the falls?

A
Ammodog
leitmotiv said:
Are there any waterfalls on the Deschutes or Falls that restricts the flow of fish? Meaning, you won't find any of the fish above the falls?

Lots of places to bank fish in Central Oregon, Deschutes, Crooked River, Crane Prairie. Float tubes are cheap that gives you access to many of the lakes. Yes above water falls the lakes feed the rivers and have lots of fish.

Make sure to read the regulations on any location you choose each lake is different and each river has sections.