Brooder's stocked

E
Expo713
Heard they stocked AB with Brooder's last week. Anyone having any luck?

P
PNW Sam
Fun times. I hooked a giant brooder in St Louis last week, but lost it. Haven't been to ABCC though. They will continue stocking brooders throughout the Valley through January.

On another note, wouldn't you have to tag a brooder as a steelhead if you caught one...? The qualification to be a steelhead is a 20 inch or bigger rainbow in streams, and ABCC connects to the Willamette. In the regs it says non-fin clipped steelhead over 24 inches may be kept the entire year in ABCC, and fin clipped steelhead may also be kept the entire year. So is this saying that a 20-inch fin clipped (hatchery) fish is a steelhead, and must be tagged as such?

Just seems funny that they plant fish that are, under my interpretation, legally an adult steelhead. :lol:

R
rippin fish lips
PNW Sam said:
On another note, wouldn't you have to tag a brooder as a steelhead if you caught one...? The qualification to be a steelhead is a 20 inch or bigger rainbow in streams, and ABCC connects to the Willamette. In the regs it says non-fin clipped steelhead over 24 inches may be kept the entire year in ABCC, and fin clipped steelhead may also be kept the entire year. So is this saying that a 20-inch fin clipped (hatchery) fish is a steelhead, and must be tagged as such?

Just seems funny that they plant fish that are, under my interpretation, legally an adult steelhead. :lol:

Yes u have to tag them as steelhead if over 24 inches. And yes there is brooders along with steelies in there right now. Making a real late report of my AB outing i had 2 weeks ago.

B
bran_man
PNW Sam said:
Fun times. I hooked a giant brooder in St Louis last week, but lost it. Haven't been to ABCC though. They will continue stocking brooders throughout the Valley through January.

You are correct in that you have to tag steelhead caught in abc. Seen quite a few people get BIG fines because of that. however the hatchery stocking it with brooders is.news to me. I think its pretty rare that they stock abc with brooders since they are in that system for am extremely short amount of time its almost a waste of a brood stock so if they did stock it is extremely rare. Also, they brooders don't usually get up to legal steelhead size

Reactions: Raincatcher
troutdude
troutdude
Not to hijack, but there seems to be some misinformation floating about here.

It is correct, that you have to tag 'bows over 20" at ABC. But, in other water bodies...you can only keep one 'bow over 20". Plus, MANY of the brooder ARE indeed over 20". Here is a Brooder Stocking article from yesterday's Salem Statesman-Journal with more details:

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011111240348

P.S. "Brooder" stocking is, as you can see, a bit different than the typical Spring stocking program.

P
PNW Sam
Yeah the whole brooders in ABCC thing seems a little dumb. So much room for misinterpretation in the regs. Like TD said, in lakes you can only keep one trout over 20 inches, but in streams it's two steelhead, but do they classify ABCC as a lake or a stream? All that junk could easily get people confused.

And yes, most of the brooders they plant are in the 8-15 pound range, and well over 20 inches. Unless they are brookies (edit: according to TD's article, which I read after I posted, these will all be rainbows). They are 4 year old fish .

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Technically, I suppose, ABC is considered a standing water body (i.e. pond, lake, reservoir). It IS legal to fish in any of ABC, with 2 rods (as long as you possess a valid 2-rod license, which is additional to your basic angling license). In that regard, it is like most other "lakes", in the sense that only 1 'bow over 20" can be a part of your 5-fish daily bag limit.

FYI, the article stated that most of the fish will range from 3 to 18. Some of them will be as much as 20 pounds!!! And, they will be 3 AND 4 year old fish. That information, is straight from the Statesman article.

Good luck to all who chase 'em!

P.S. Here is the current (11/23) ODFW Recreation Report for ABC:

"The Alton Baker Canoe Canal is open all year. Stocking has been completed for the year, but will resume again in February. The Canoe Canal is located in downtown Eugene behind Autzen Stadium. A 4-acre pond at the midpoint of the canal is a good spot but it can be fished all along its 2-mile length from Day Island Road in Eugene to Aspen Street in Springfield. Summer steelhead are occasionally caught in this system and anglers are reminded they will need a combined angling tag to legally harvest a steelhead. It is legal to fish with two rods in the Alton Baker Canoe Canal, provided the Two-Rod Validation has been purchased."

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Actually the water flows from the willamette, through a canal which feeds into the holding ponds, and then back out into the river.

troutdude
troutdude
I hadn't noticed that before...that's funny. ODFW doesn't even know how the system works / where it ends up. Another fine way, that your tax dollars are spent!

R
rippin fish lips
TTFishon said:
Actually the water flows from the willamette, through a canal which feeds into the holding ponds, and then back out into the river.

yepppp

B
bran_man
troutdude said:
Technically, I suppose, ABC is considered a standing water body (i.e. pond, lake, reservoir). It IS legal to fish in any of ABC, with 2 rods (as long as you possess a valid 2-rod license, which is additional to your basic angling license). In that regard, it is like most other "lakes", in the sense that only 1 'bow over 20" can be a part of your 5-fish daily bag limit.

FYI, the article stated that most of the fish will range from 3 to 18. Some of them will be as much as 20 pounds!!! And, they will be 3 AND 4 year old fish. That information, is straight from the Statesman article.

Good luck to all who chase 'em!

P.S. Here is the current (11/23) ODFW Recreation Report for ABC:

"The Alton Baker Canoe Canal is open all year. Stocking has been completed for the year, but will resume again in February. The Canoe Canal is located in downtown Eugene behind Autzen Stadium. A 4-acre pond at the midpoint of the canal is a good spot but it can be fished all along its 2-mile length from Day Island Road in Eugene to Aspen Street in Springfield. Summer steelhead are occasionally caught in this system and anglers are reminded they will need a combined angling tag to legally harvest a steelhead. It is legal to fish with two rods in the Alton Baker Canoe Canal, provided the Two-Rod Validation has been purchased."

It is a 2 rod allowed location if you have the proper license, but is NOT considered a standing body of water. It is clearly a small trib of the Willy. Some people think it is a still body of water, and those are the people I watch get big tickets for keeping steelhead without a tag. I always warn people but they never listen. Almost every person I have ever warned out there (4/5) about keeping a steelie without tagging has gotten a fine. Why else would abc have its own location # on the tag list

troutdude
troutdude
bran_man said:
It is a 2 rod allowed location if you have the proper license, but is NOT considered a standing body of water. It is clearly a small trib of the Willy. Some people think it is a still body of water, and those are the people I watch get big tickets for keeping steelhead without a tag. I always warn people but they never listen. Almost every person I have ever warned out there (4/5) about keeping a steelie without tagging has gotten a fine. Why else would abc have its own location # on the tag list

What I meant by "technically...a standing water body"...is that ODFW includes it as "two rod" water. ABC, is the only trib I am aware of where two rods can be legally used. However, maybe there are more.

But, I do appreciate the distinction that you have pointed out! It's an important point for peeps to understand.

B
bran_man
Yes I believe you are correct on this as far as I know in that abc is the only "flowing" water system that allows a 2rod license to be used. Sorry I was confused on your previous post about it. That spot is just too confusing! Ha ha