12th summer, 1st out of AB.

R
rippin fish lips
Sorry for the real late post! been layin off the comp for a while now.
Went trout fishing at lookout with no luck... (nov. 12th). Moved to AB around 10:00 am with only 2 trout caught, and saw 2 steelies. We called it at 12:30pm.

I went out and rode my bike for a little bit with the intention of riding all day/night long... Well 3:45pm came around, went home, ate some food, got gear ready and made my way to AB. 1 hour goes by and i have 3 missed hits! -.- I have my 2 rod fishing license so i was fishing 2 rods legally, 1 rod set up with a cured nightcrawler/anise mellow, and the other with green p-bait.

4:45 rolls around, its getting late and dark... fish start rollin. I see a steelie rollin/tailin 5 feet of shore. I real in my bait, check it, its golden! I cast 2 feet from the fish (7 or 8 feet) out, trying not to spook the fish. I usually take slach line out when im plunkin bait. This time a light bulb flashed in my head so i kept a good amount of slack line.

Set my rod on my "rod holding stick" walk away and start to hear my pole bashign around/falling. I turn to look at me pole going off! Going crazy, insane! My real got stuck at the top of the "pole holding stick" with the rod tip in the water... bouncing up and down! Asecond later and a silver rocket comes flying out, then so does my rod off the rod holder! I thoguht fer sure i was gunna lose this set up and the steelie.

The end of the rod handle was about a food from the drank while everythign else is in the drink! Grab my rod and nhe takes off towards my other line, fight this fish around my other rod/line and get it in, bairly hooked and a nice fat hen.

1laststeelie.jpg

This is how she cut... pretty dang good for this time of year!

yumm.jpg

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
:shock: Sounds like you fish the same way Autofisher does. He puts his rod in the holder and walks away...:rolleyes: makes me crazy sometimes, but, it works well for him. Great story and pics! :clap::clap:

troutdude
troutdude
A buddy of mine, once caught some cutties that same way on the Long Tom.

Nicely done man. And some tasty looking meat. Enjoy it!

N
nwkiller
nice work bro

R
rippin fish lips
Thanks guys! I was so not expecting it lol. I have been so tempted to start cutting the bones out, but i just can't... i love the oily flavours that come out of it when cooked!!

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice report bro! Need to change name to rippinchromelips

R
rippin fish lips
Thuggin4Life said:
Need to change name to rippinchromelips

Sounds way legit! Think ill keep it the way it is so peeps know who i is :D

E
eugene1
Just saw your thread. Nice work! That fish is still really bright compared to other ones this time of year.

Did you get your steelie on the crawler set up?

C
chefboy
Great catch and good lookin eats! Not bad fishing for just down the street and yep I will see you out there for sure...

R
rippin fish lips
eugene1 said:
Just saw your thread. Nice work! That fish is still really bright compared to other ones this time of year.

Did you get your steelie on the crawler set up?

I got it on a plunking set up, Mainline, egg sinker, bead below egg sinker. (egg sinker,bead above swivel) 18 inches of leader and a real small j hook.

B
bran_man
Nice job! I've seen steelies roll and and seen em caught (not by me) there a lot! I usually just throw spinners cause I don't have the patience for plunking ha ha. I just can't get away from the mckenzie. Tagged my 50 th steelie out there today. Had the whole river to myself! Was amazing. Picked up a big fat 8 pound hen stacked with roe. Biggest skeins I've had all year. Looks like you got some eggs to cure up too. We should fish together sometime....

R
rippin fish lips
bran_man said:
Nice job! I've seen steelies roll and and seen em caught (not by me) there a lot! I usually just throw spinners cause I don't have the patience for plunking ha ha. I just can't get away from the mckenzie. Tagged my 50 th steelie out there today. Had the whole river to myself! Was amazing. Picked up a big fat 8 pound hen stacked with roe. Biggest skeins I've had all year. Looks like you got some eggs to cure up too. We should fish together sometime....

Yeah i got 1 skein left!! I gave up on the steelies after my 11th one on the mac this year. i dont liek the winter steelhead "bite" haha