Uh oh, don't tell my online fishing friends...

C
ChezJfrey
My daughter just had her 10th birthday celebration and her and a friend went with my wife and other mom to get their hair done...daughters came home with hackle feather extensions :shock:

O
OnTheFly
All because of Aerosmth's Steven Tyler, the cost of fly tying materials have skyrocketed.:protest:

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
In the spirit of hooliganism everywhere, might I suggest we begin operation "Occupy Hair Salons" - and demand that they end this nonsense of putting hackle in women's hair and thus driving up the costs of our saddles and capes? We might also consider adding a ban on them putting things like craft fur, elk hair, deer hair, strings of antron yarn, or krystal flash in their hair. And those silly hair stylists should pay off our student loans...

F
FlyBum
Acceptance! :think: We can be-otch all we want, and at first was a huge shocker, but it is a fad that is now fading, hopefully.

Last edited:
E
eggs
Snip em out when she sleeps and tie em up right away!

M
mrlindeman
Just start tying flies outa them. Thats free material man!!! Wait till they sleep and snatch those hackles. See em try to put a size 22 adams in there hair lol. OK that was mean :(

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oh, you guys...you crack me up! :lol: :lol: You do realize that women (and men) have been using feathers in their hair for untold centuries, don't you? What you call a "fad" is a recurring style statement...in bygone years they were also status symbols. Sheesh!:doh: Do you really believe the price has gone up due to a small percentage of women...and men...wearing "hackles" in their hair? Or is it due to, I dunno, the economy spiraling out of control for the past couple decades...:think: or the price of gold...or the global warming thing...:rolleyes:or a sudden lack of virile roosters...:shock:eek:r Bazooka Bubble Gum lacking enough sugar...:wall:eek:r.....whew!...I lost track of what I was going for...:tongue::tongue::tongue:

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I'm pretty sure it's because of the hair salons siphoning up all of the available saddle capes - at least the ones most fly tiers use. Every time I have stopped into the fly shop since August - there has, honest to god, been the proprietor of the next door hair salon in there buying more saddles. And most of the time, random women from off the street are in there picking up whats been left. These women are most definitely not fly fishers or tiers - they're there for hair feathers.

Add to it that single saddle feathers are going for $5-10 a pop on-line (and in some of the more enterprising stores that have started pulling 1 or 2 feathers at a time out of a cape that normally went for $20-40).

Even Fisherman's Marine has a section by their fly tying materials of singles and double saddle hackles priced at ungodly levels and specifically targeted as "hair extension feathers"

I hope this fad goes away soon...

Reactions: OnTheFly
G
GDBrown
I hope someone doesn't mention Geronimo and his friends.......

Opps! :lol: :D

brandon4455
brandon4455
should i sell the rest of my Whiting grizzly half saddle? sounds like this stuff is pretty pricey LOL!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Gene, Geronimo wasn't tooling around with barred rock rooster or barred rock hen feathers in his hair ;)

W
wozniasm
OnTheFly said:
All because of Aerosmth's Steven Tyler, the cost of fly tying materials have skyrocketed.:protest:

Leave Steven Tyler alone! My youngest son is named Tyler Stephen. Aerosmith Rocks LOL!
Maybe Streamflies should start stopping by the salons with assortments and up their sales!

Reactions: bigsteel
O
OnTheFly
wozniasm said:
Leave Steven Tyler alone! My youngest son is named Tyler Stephen. Aerosmith Rocks LOL!
Maybe Streamflies should start stopping by the salons with assortments and up their sales!
In the words of Nancy Karrigan "why why why" does it have to be saddle hackles.

E
eggs
OnTheFly said:
In the words of Nancy Karrigan "why why why" does it have to be saddle hackles.

Rofl

brandon4455
brandon4455
lmao

O
OnTheFly
Lol! the opera thing was a little rough but Aerosmith frikking rocks. Oh and Steven, if you want to use rooster capes and other game bird feathers in your style, that's cool with me. I was just joking around. Say...about those back stage passes.........