Clackamas salmon

H
Harry
Hello,

This forum is a great source of information. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Recently retired from a job in Asia, moved to Portland and became a fishing fanatic. I was completely happy catching rainbows, but then went with a guide, caught a nice chinook and a steelhead and become instantly addicted to salmon fishing. Yesterday,, I was bank fishing for steelhead on the Clackamas and neither myself or anyone else had any steelhead action. However, chinook were continually rolling. I tried jigs, corkies, spinners and bait with no takers. Is there anything that will interest chinook this time of year?

R
rippin fish lips
Shrimp and Eggs. You want to Eliminate as much of your human scent as possible. Use Scents, rub some on your hands if you are not into wearing gloves while fishing(like me). Great year for Spinners!! Size 4's and 5's.

H
Harry
Thanks. Good advise on wearing gloves. Do you change the hooks on spinners to single hook? I did that, but still lost a Mepos 5 yesterday

Chromatose
Chromatose
Harry said:
but still lost a Mepos 5 yesterday

Then your fishing it right.

O
OnTheDrop
D
DrTheopolis
Buy black spinners, or use a Sharpie to make them black.

Let your spinner sink for a few seconds, and try to keep it spinning as slowly as possible.

Be out at first/last light. This time of year, in these warm, low conditions, midday chinook fishing is a tough gig.

I like to put a little Smelly Jelly on the HOOK of my spinner (don't get any on the blade, it messes up the action).

Fish the entire hole, and don't overlook the 3-8 foot broken surface water -- OFFers shade during the day.

I'll think of more tips.

And I've been a spinner fisherman for so long, I don't lose nearly as many as I used to -- but it's an acquired skill. Unless it's breaking your budget, don't sweat losing hardware. If it will break your budget, use a different technique.

R
rippin fish lips
drtheopolis said:
buy black spinners, or use a sharpie to make them black.

Let your spinner sink for a few seconds, and try to keep it spinning as slowly as possible.

Be out at first/last light. This time of year, in these warm, low conditions, midday chinook fishing is a tough gig.

I like to put a little smelly jelly on the hook of my spinner (don't get any on the blade, it messes up the action).

Fish the entire hole, and don't overlook the 3-8 foot broken surface water -- offers shade during the day.

I'll think of more tips.

And i've been a spinner fisherman for so long, i don't lose nearly as many as i used to -- but it's an acquired skill. Unless it's breaking your budget, don't sweat losing hardware. If it will break your budget, use a different technique.

yes^^^

E
eugene1
Try to hit the water at sun up- first legal light.

H
Harry
Thanks

Thanks

eugene1 said:
Try to hit the water at sun up- first legal light.
Got some black spinners today and will drag myself out of bed to be on the river esrly. I really appreciate all of your advise

T
troutmasta
D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
Spinners are good, good bait is better.

I've heard that my whole life -- and to this day, I disagree. But fish what you're confident with, which is by far the most important thing -- lots of ways to skin a cat. It all catches fish.

And I said I'd think of more tips... and maybe I shouldn't give up all of my "secrets," but... yes, fish the bottom of the deep holes, like TM said. Until you've buzzed it all a few times. Then, stay OFF the bottom, and keep it a bit above. If they didn't hit it when you bounced it OFF their face, guess what? They're rarely going to. BUT... if you put it in front of their face while they come OFF the bottom to rise, they'll hit about anything. Once I've hammered the bottom, I then fish a percentage of the depth (depends how deep we're talking) above that -- produces more... looking for the words... "non-motivated" bites.

I think I'm sharing too much now. I love to help people, but still want to be a fishing-stud... don't need you guys catching all the fish. But with hardware in summer, better too dark and subtle that too bold -- if you listen to nothing else I say, believe that one. Holed-up springers aren't the bulldozers many people seem to think they are.

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:
I've heard that my whole life -- and to this day, I disagree.

Good bait I said...:bleh:

...just razzin ya-

H
Harry
Got to Mckiver today at 0600, fished until 1000. Used a spoon, black spinners, corkies and a spin and glow. Lost two spinners (cost of learning) and no hits. All in all, 4 great hours spent on a beautiful river. Thanks, again, for all of the pointers

T
tribfisherpdx
I can put you on fish with spinners but it's on the sandy pm me everyday last week I tagged 3 fish sometimes in 1 hour sometimes 8 but with the right color they will hit

H
Harry
Thanks a lot. Just sent a PM