Salmon/trout snack sticks or brats...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I was wondering if anyone has tried making snack sticks or brats based on salmon or trout?

I used to get salmon snack sticks at Chuck's Seafood in Charleston while camping at Sunset Bay, very tasty.

My plan is to start experimenting with this early next year and then get serious about it over the summer; curious if anyone has any "try this" or "don't do this" sort of advice...cheers, roger

S
Spydeyrch
I guess I could google it, but what is a snack stick / brats? An image of something like fish sticks comes to mind but I have never heard them called that at all. :think:

-Spydey

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Spydeyrch said:
I guess I could google it, but what is a snack stick / brats? An image of something like fish sticks comes to mind but I have never heard them called that at all. :think:

-Spydey

snack sticks are like Slim Jims or pepperoni sticks, normally done using 19mm casing. This is what Chuck's sold made from salmon (plain and peppered), about a foot long.
brat would, obviously, just be made using a larger casing.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Trader Joe's sells 'Seafood Brats' in the frozen foods, the filling as I recall is a mix of shrimp/scallops/crab/whitefish plus seasonings and probably some fillers....we have used them in Cajun dishes (sliced in gumbo and jambalaya) and also used them with pasta with light sauces.

F
Fish a holic
Never seen anything like that, but it sounds awsome, gonna sell it once perfected?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
rogerdodger said:
Trader Joe's sells 'Seafood Brats' in the frozen foods, the filling as I recall is a mix of shrimp/scallops/crab/whitefish plus seasonings and probably some fillers....we have used them in Cajun dishes (sliced in gumbo and jambalaya) and also used them with pasta with light sauces.

Mmmm,sounds like a good snack whist out on the water. Not to mention all the vitamins. Keep us posted on your research.