Kelly Point

C
cdumitru78
Thinking about trying Kelly Point for some sturgeon, anyone tried there lately, any tips?

F
FishOn420
cdumitru78 said:
Thinking about trying Kelly Point for some sturgeon, anyone tried there lately, any tips?

don't waste your time!!! I have been there two weeks in a row sturgeon fishing using herring and didn't get a single bit for the 5-7 hours I was out there. Try out Elk Rock Island. There is a good hole there about 100ft deep. I have been meaning to try that area for sturgeon. You would have much better luck there.

C
cdumitru78
Thank you for the response, not what I wanted to hear, but at least I know.

T
Tonymyrs
cdumitru78 said:
Thank you for the response, not what I wanted to hear, but at least I know.

The whole month of May and the first week of June I was pulling 6-8 every time in about 3 hrs time. I've been hitting up sauvie the past two weeks and getting lucky, I use squid and was thinking on trying Kelley point this weekend again

D
DrTheopolis
Tonymyrs said:
was thinking on trying Kelley point this weekend again

The scenery should be good, even if the fishing isn't.

C
cdumitru78
Tonymyrs said:
The whole month of May and the first week of June I was pulling 6-8 every time in about 3 hrs time. I've been hitting up sauvie the past two weeks and getting lucky, I use squid and was thinking on trying Kelley point this weekend again

Sauvie has been good for me last month, basically got about 5 fish on 3 hours, and even got what looked like an oversized, so no complaints. How far do you have to cast at Kelly Point, is it hard to fish?

T
Tonymyrs
I just uploaded some I caught at Kelley. I use a 6oz weight and throw it about 60-70 years I want to say, no snags that I've found so far

C
cdumitru78
Nice job those are some nice fish there! Damn, I may try it after all, it will be a nice change of pace from Sauvie. There seem to be some nice bank spots around Portland, that is awesome that we have quite a few options so close.

T
Tonymyrs
That spot was blowing up lately, I'm hoping there's still a few lingering around, it's a pretty deep hole, I have a 12footer but I've seen a lot of guys over shoot it with surf rods on a real low tide

C
cdumitru78
I've been using an Ugly Stick 10 footer, seems to do the job for me, but where I fish I never have to cast too far out. 5 to 8 ounces of weight typically does it for my set up, and herring/anchovies do the job. I seem to do best when the tide changes, that seems to get them active.

I've seen some people with their 12 footers really cast way out there, crazy!

T
Tonymyrs
As soon as I switched from my 9'er to a 12'er I started landing fish like crazy.