Motors allowed at Lake Harriet?

troutdude
troutdude
Gotta love bureaucracy. NOT!

This morning, I sent an email message to the Oregon Marine Board. I need to know, if boat motors (gas & electric in this case), are allowed on Lake Harriet (Clackamas system). A reply came back stating that, their are NO RESTRICTIONS on motors on that lake.

Now I just received another message; this time from PGE Parks (who own the lake). That message states that, NO motors are allowed. So does PGE statement, trump OMB's comment?

Does anyone out there know? Helloooooooo!

D
DrTheopolis
Only fished there once, a couple of years ago. Motors weren't a problem. We ran an electric on a driftboat. While I'm not the final word on the rules there, there's a real ramp (the angle in relation to the road sucks, pain to back down to), and there were plenty of full sized powerboats there.

D
DrTheopolis
And PGE's webite lists "boating" as one of the activities to be found there.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Some lakes dont allow them and I dont think ODFW says in the booklet or not, I can tell you I fish N Twin which is no motors and one day I went and rowed however I had my my 5 HP Honda on the back tilted up no gas in it and a guy came up to me threatening a 1000 dollar ticket.

T
twout
Motors allowed at Lake Harriet?

I believe Harriet is in the Mt.Hood National Forest. PGE leases the public owned land from the Federal Government. A phone call to ZigZag Ranger Station should clarify any questions you have. PGE owns no public lands, anywhere. On second thought you could also call Clackamas Ranger District 503 630 6861

Last edited:
Reactions: Raincatcher
troutdude
troutdude
Thanks everyone. I love this forum; because of helpful folks such as yourselves. We don't want to drag a boat all of that distance up there--only to have to let it sit-- while we are relegated to banking it.

I left a message, for a Ranger at the number above. They, I assume, would be the ones to enforce any such laws. I'll let you all know, what I find out.

Again, thank you for your posts and suggestions.

O
OnTheFly
Jay, you can run motors up there all day long. If it's a smokey motor you might get a stink eye or two but other than that you're fine. Remember, it's a small and narrow lake so anything larger than a drift boat may be overkill.

D
DrTheopolis
And the 5MPH speed limit now sticks out in my mind.

You can run a mid-sized powerboat, but like OTF said, you can just about throw a rock across the width.

And as I mentioned, that ramp was a real treat. It's at an angle to the road. Someone was parked by it when we went, so we ended up dropping the trailer and turning it around by hand. But you'll figure it out, I'm sure -- ain't your first rodeo.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks guys. Yep; I've been to the rodeo more than once.

Today both Dale Flowers @ the OMB--and Jaynie @ PGE, went out of their way and did some additional research. They both confirmed, that motors ARE allowed. Jaynie also apologized, for the initial mis-information. Both stand up peeps, in my book, for going the extra mile to provide the answer!

Thanks again, to everyone. I'm also planning to hit Frog Lake with some Muddler's, from the bank, as I hear that is is swarming with Sculpins. Plus, we'll hit the Oak Grove Fork too. There will be 5 of us, and only one boat. So, we'll have to troll in shifts. Ha ha.

I'll file a report, after we get back.

Cheers,

TD

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Well as mentioned above; I left a message at the Clackamas District Forest Service Ranger Station. This morning I got a reply, from a ranger at the Mt. Hood Ranger Station. He stated that, NO motors are allowed.

So, I went online. Guess what? In their OWN Forest Service brochure under "Clackamas River Ranger District Campgrounds"--that I printed a copy of--it is CLEARLY stated that, motors ARE allowed!

Don't you just love it, when "professionals" are clueless! I think not. Sheesh. This makes me wonder, if Ranger's are ticketing peeps up there--who have motorized boats--and don't know how to research this stuff; or take the time to double check.

T
twout
Wow! I don't know what to say to that. I do know PGE or OSM board are not the enforcers of this but F.Service Law enforcement or State Police might be.

troutdude
troutdude
Yeah; pretty whack ain't it?

I've printed my email messages--from both the Oregon Marine Board & PGE Parks people--and am taking those replies with me. I've also printed a copy of the Forest Service Campground directory; and will have that on hand too. Then if we get any hassles, about using our motors, I will show the enforcement OFFicer my documents...all showing that motors ARE allowed.