17 hmr vs 17 wsm

K
kenjimua
Soo im debating of getting one of these...i plan to use it for squirrel hunting...which one should i go with? And what brand would you guys recconmend?.....and yes i do eat the squirrels....

J
JeannaJigs
Look at the savage 17 hmr. The hmr is plenty enough for any varmint in oregon, it will get the job done to 200 yards. You're never gonna shoot a squirrel beyond 200 yards. The wsm has a slightly longer range, but the cost difference isn't really worth it for squirrels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

T
TimberTodd
I believe the ammo for the hmr is easier to find than the wsm also.

K
kenjimua
Hmm ok...17 hmr it is then! Just gota wait till next month for it...

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Sorry a bit off top, but I recently transplanted myself here from another state (which shall remain nameless, don't want the stink to follow me), I am having trouble finding hunting regulations for small game. I found the fur-bearer regs, and somewhere along the way I thought I saw something that indicated rabbits and squirrels are protected. I would like to get my 14 yr old boy started with hunting small game next spring, but Oregon does not make information simple. I came from a state that didn't really support sportsmen, but at least the regulations were easy to find and understand. Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

J
JeannaJigs
Squirrels are 5 a day, western grays only, they have specific season dates and can only be taken east of the western boundaries of the santiam mckenzie indigo units, they are on page 71 of big game regs. Rabbits have no seasonal closures and no bag limits, though most rabbits in oregon have parasites and it's recommended to only hunt them AFTER the first freeze of winter, there are protected species of rabbits though, please do a search on ODFW website for rabbits, there is a good info page

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Thank you

D
DonF
I turned 76 this year and don't get around as well as I did years ago. Think I just might take up small game hunting again! Have a really nice Win 62A pump 22RF but eye's aren'tr so good anymore so guess I'll use either my 22 mag or my 410. The 62A isn't wired for a scope! Maybe I'll go to Idaho and get a new 22RF!