Been invited to fish the Umpqua

plumbertom
plumbertom
A old fishing buddy from SoCal is in Sutherlin for a couple days.
His buddy that I've never met asked me down to fish Smallies with them.
Gonna give it a go Monday.

T
TimberTodd
You should have a great time. Good luck and post some pictures.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Go get'em, entire Umpqua Basin is 15 bass per day, any size, so show no mercy, feel free to thump'em and fry'em...

J
JeannaJigs
I'll be giving those fish hell for 3 days starting thursday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
rogerdodger said:
show no mercy

2nd. Non-indiginous fish must die.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Question for you Doc... why do you hang out in here if you hate bass so much?

Is it the crushing ennui of moral superiority that drives you to enlighten the rubes?

Or are you just a tosser?

S
sapo
He doesn't necessarily hate bass, he just doesn't want them taking over that system.

T
Throbbit _Shane
sapo said:
He doesn't necessarily hate bass, he just doesn't want them taking over that system.

Too late.... :peace:

Ill be eating some smaller ones and releasing some hawgs later this week on the umpqua!

Mmm fish tacos.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Eat them all they are tasty you cannot fish them out! Bass dont belong there anyway they eat a lot of smolts I dont understand the C and R on invasive species!

T
Throbbit _Shane
They may not belong there but they are there to stay even with a 15 fish limit.

What is there to understand about C&R fishing? We enjoy catching them and will also enjoy catching them in the future as im sure other will too.

And I do agree they are tasty, we mainly eat fish around 1lb and under, releasing the bigger ones.

B
BaldTexan
Everyone in the south was up in arms when they introduced strikers into the deeper reservoirs because they would eat all of the bass fingerlings. Eventually the water body ecology evened out, and now you can catch big bass, big stripers, crappie, sand bass, etc.

1 to 2 lb. bass battered in corn meal and fried is still my favorite eating fish. Fish tacos? Get a rope!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plumbertom
plumbertom
Yeah. uneventful fishing on the Umpqua. A number of smallish smallies caught. but nothing of size. I did see a couple of guys fishing shad and having never done so myself, I observed and then gave it a go myself. I didn't catch any but it was worth the effort to learn fishing a different species.
It was in fact a great day to be out on the river bank and the Umpqua is a beautiful river to enjoy.
Those Bass are here to stay, like them or not. They are obviously well established. They may eat a few smolts but I'd bet they do far more damage to the crawdads that I observed to be in the river in great numbers.
Striped Bass, all I can say about them is that out of the many I've caught over my life, and I do specifically target them as a first choice where they are available I have never found a black bass in the stomach of one of them.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nice you had a good day and caught some smallies....my view is that they are in the system to stay but that doesn't mean that trying to keep down the population isn't a worthy goal...

J
jarhead2
Head up above the fishing deadline and find the biggest tadpoles and crawdads you ever saw in the NW. Food sources are many in the Umpqua for bass.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Shaun Solomon said:
Question for you Doc... why do you hang out in here if you hate bass so much?

Is it the crushing ennui of moral superiority that drives you to enlighten the rubes?

Or are you just a tosser?

Wow that is harsh! Doc can sit at my table anytime.

D
DrTheopolis
First OFF, I don't "hang out" in any forum here -- I click "What's New."

And is wanting to keep invasive species down such a bad thing?

E
eugene1
Sounds like a fun time with your friends, plumber.

Shad are fun to catch, make sure to get your OFFerings down deep.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
EOBOY, Doc can drink soda pop with me whenever he wants to as well. My default internet setting is "sarcastic," hopefully nobody was injured by my remarks.

Mr. Dr. Theopolis, I suppose the "bass problem" is a matter for the philosophically inclined angler to assess, but I dare say most of us have decided long ago where we stand on the issue.

Cheers to all.

SS

EOBOY
EOBOY
Shaun Solomon said:
EOBOY, Doc can drink soda pop with me whenever he wants to as well. My default internet setting is "sarcastic," hopefully nobody was injured by my remarks.

Mr. Dr. Theopolis, I suppose the "bass problem" is a matter for the philosophically inclined angler to assess, but I dare say most of us have decided long ago where we stand on the issue.

Cheers to all.

SS

Hey I love Bass too. Back in the early 60's when Smallies started to show up in the John Day we were shocked. Everyone had their own theory on how they got there. Some blamed a Smallie lover some blamed the ODFW, some blamed locals. The Trout fishing was pretty much toast because of the water draw down by farmers and the problems caused years ago by Gold mining.

So I feel The Dr. angest. No don't think the Dr. will ever change and God love him for it. Hope to meet him some day.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Truthfully, I normally don't target black bass.
I catch plenty of them as bycatch while fishing for sunfish and occasionally for trout.
This trip was more a chance to visit with mu old friend from SoCal and to meet a new local.