Float fishing questions, help

F
flytrekker1007
So im fishing a the Alsea tomorrow and I was wondering what people will run in 4ft of water
-float size
-inline weight size
-leader length

R
RunWithSasquatch
I fish a 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz floats, with either 1/4-3/8oz weights under them if I am running a jig. If you're just going to run yarn/bait, then I would match your your weight to the required weight of your bobber to make it float correctly.

I dont like to run a leader much over 25'' or so. If I dont think visibilty is a super big issue for the given day, I will go short with the leader, down to about 18'' or so.

I run drennan style floats, but I also like westcoast floats.

F
flytrekker1007
Great info. I run Westcoast's. I running jigs and pink worms by themselves. Any tips with the worms?

R
RunWithSasquatch
I dont fish worms. I like the look of them on jig heads.

And your jig I would keep some prawn hand to tip your jig with.

The water is getting low and clear. In my opinion I think in those conditions a pink worm can be intrusive. I do really well there floating yarn balls under floats with anise, or small baits.

F
flytrekker1007
Ok, have you seen the water? I'm not sure how clear it is because it has been raining.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I have seen the water. Its low, its just not 'ideal'. I personally dont like fishing it this low, but there will be some fish around. Worse case you'll get to test wits with a silver salmon.

I would recommend taking a look at the main river. And if you dip below 5 rivers, you'll have a chance at retaining a chinook if you happen to tie into one.

I lost a bright nook at the boat this morning.

F
flytrekker1007
I'm going to fish the holes around honey grove rd.