Columbia River salmon

D
Doback
I'm fairly new to salmon fishing and have a friend that may be coming to visit this summer sometime and we want to do some salmon fishing. When does the salmon fishing near chinook landing/ gov't island usually pick up during the summer?

D
DrTheopolis
I assume you have a boat? I'm not much of a bank plunker, but I don't thinks it's the best area for bankies.

If the runs are good (like this year), it starts in early spring, and doesn't let up too much until fall. Be sure to check all of the regulation updates, since they change every 45 minutes.

If you have the ability to anchor safely, that's some fun stuff out in Troutdale.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Salmon like Dr. T said are on the move up river from spring on. The big run of fall chinook hits the Astoria area about the second week of August. From there they move on up the river and you can get a pretty good idea on the run by checking the fish count at Bonneville Dam. Just a suggestion, you might want to check with some local guides. Sometimes it is easier to hook up with a guide as they know the area and the gear as well as how to fish it.

D
Doback
Sorry. I forgot to mention I do have a boat. Thank you guys for the info.

D
DrTheopolis
http://www.fpc.org/DataReqs/adultgraph/50.39.141.18944208.jpg

If you look at the graph, there's usually a spike in April, then the numbers typically stay fairly steady (certainly fishable numbers) until the typical huge spike in early September, then a tapering-OFF through October.

But again -- check the regulation updates, since they constantly change.

And if you're not familiar with anchoring (trolling is an option, as well), do a little research on Columbia anchoring, and make sure you're set up to do it safely, and leave the hoglines for other people to deal with. How deep the water you want to fish depends on water conditions -- 25' is a good starting place.