Good kayak?

M
Moe
Any suggestions on a good kayak that can handle the willy/columbia and possibly a little bay fishing? Also their proprice range?? Really wanting to get into kayak fishing

C_Run
C_Run
Moe said:
Any suggestions on a good kayak that can handle the willy/columbia and possibly a little bay fishing? Also their proprice range?? Really wanting to get into kayak fishing

I have done all three you listed with Ocean Kayak Tridents for four years now, both the 13' and 11'. (We have four now and they breed like rabbits.) They are stable boats and set up for fishing. They are paddle type kayaks. Hobies, which are pedal driven, are popular but more expensive. They do have advantages. There are lots of brands and the paddle shops up in Portland have models to demo so you can see what you prefer. Used boats come up on Craigslist sometimes or you can check the NWKA site for kayaks for sale. I bought a new Trident -13 for $875 from outdoorplay.com last year, delivered, and thought that was a pretty good deal. I have also bought two lightly used Tridents for $550 and $800 and both times, the owners threw in a lot of extras with the boats. So, try some out to see what you like and then shop around.

B
Billamicasr
You are in luck if you don't mind a short drive. Scappoose Bay Kayak Center is having their annual Paddle Fest this Saturday and Sunday (June 13, 14) 8-6 on Saturday and 8-5 on Sunday.

Very important that you get to demo a boat before you buy it. Without a demo you may end up like so many others who decided too late they didn't like what they bought. Paddle Centers phone number is 503-397-2161. Some of the manufacturers will be on hand to answer questions. Should be a great event with lots of boats to try out. Scappoose Bay Kayak Center is a division of Next Adventure of Portland. This is a link to read about the event: http://nextadventure.net/community/event/scappoose-bay-paddle-fest.

You should go if you can.

C_Run
C_Run
So true to demo first. I got a good deal on a used mojo emotion kayak without trying it first. I could never get comfortable in it and it was very tippy compared to the Tridents. I got rid of it after a time or two out with it. Lesson learned.

B
Billamicasr
Moe, I forgot to mention, the first time I visited with Andy (sales) at Scappoose Bay Kayak Center, I walked in and told him I'd paddled an Inflatable kayak, but knew nothing of hard shell boats. He was great, not once did I feel he was condescending or acted like he knew it all. He spent quite a lot of time with me. When I demoed he was sure to hold the boat steady and I felt quite secure getting aboard.

If you aren't familiar with hard shell kayaks, tell him that up front and be prepared to be schooled; he's very knowledgeable. His business card says Kayaking guide/Instructor; guess he must be pretty kayak savvy.

One important point. I thought I wanted a wide stable kayak and ended up with one that was 34" wide; it was a pig on the water. Stable yes, maneuverable and fast no; I sold it. If you can give the Ocean kayaks a try, they are a bit narrower, ocean capable; like out of Pacific City, Depot Bay, Tillamook, etc. and they are much quicker than the pig I used to have. They may at first feel tipsy compared to a super wide boat, but just an hour or two and you'll find your sea legs and get confident.

Tell Andy what you are looking for and he'll put you into the right boats to demo. Say yes when he offers a Hobie, just so you know what the upgrade is when you outgrow the paddle boat; you could opt for one as a first boat, but most folks end up with one as a second boat. You can always loan out the paddle boat to a non-kayak friend so he can go fishing with you. Hobie Revolution 13 fast and nimble, Hobie Outback is wide, slower and called the SUV then there are the ProAnglers 12 &14. Big, wide, more of a boat than a kayak; expensive and possibly worth every penny if that's what you are looking for.

Hope you get to go

M
Moe
Sweet, thank you all so much, super excited to get off the bank/ jetties!