Any pole pokers out there??

R
rippin fish lips
Saw a guy doing this yesterday for the first time with my own eyes. He caught 1 sea trout, im sure he found more though. It looks like a fun way to fish and im thinking if i get into it, i can get my lady into it and that will add another hobby to our bucket list of things to do!

C_Run
C_Run
I never did actual poke pole fishing but know the concept. However, where I grew up, we learned every crack in the jetty and rocks that might hold a fish and caught many a greenling between boulders in very unlikely looking spots. If you didn't go back to the same spots too often, another fish would move in and it would be pretty dependable fishing. I remember a guy I knew hooked an enormous ling in a little crack and we were just using little trout poles. It was 30 seconds of mayhem before it broke off.

D
DrTheopolis
If this was listed as "Off topic, not related to fishing," Barb would have had a heart attack.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
DrTheopolis said:
If this was listed as "Off topic, not related to fishing," Barb would have had a heart attack.
Nope. We had basically the same discussion a couple years ago. I believe there was even a video. ;)

R
rippin fish lips
DrTheopolis said:

LOL. It's been a while since i have actually started a thread. I figured now that i have a new type of fishing to get into into (just fishing for rock fish) i would see what could dig up from all those Jetty fish masters out there.

R
rippin fish lips
C_Run said:
I never did actual poke pole fishing but know the concept. However, where I grew up, we learned every crack in the jetty and rocks that might hold a fish and caught many a greenling between boulders in very unlikely looking spots. If you didn't go back to the same spots too often, another fish would move in and it would be pretty dependable fishing. I remember a guy I knew hooked an enormous ling in a little crack and we were just using little trout poles. It was 30 seconds of mayhem before it broke off.

It looked like a fun way to catch some greenling maybe, maybe some perch if there hiddin in the rocks. Bass ect. A big ling would be nuts with no real and real way to fight it lol. I was jigging a 2 oz Jig head with a 4" green/white curly trailed grub right on the edge of the jetty next to a little bush of kelp that stuck up to the surface. Dropped the jig into a deep pocket, jigged it a few times let the waved kinds push my line to see if the jig would bounce around down there, next thing i know.... Tap tap tap, slowly lift, tap, Whale on the son of a b. This is how it went...

When i set the hook, it was nothing but sheer wait and a tad bit a movement. then all of a sudden some knarly head shakes and up came the fish, it made a turn toward the open ocean then started peeling line like a freight train. This fish was not stopping, after about a 40 foot run in less then what felt like a second my hook straitened =/ It had to been a huge ling, def kepper size for sure.

This was in windy bay on the souch jetty ocean side. The guy poke poling it was tearin it up and hitting it hard. I read something about finding those smaller rock fish and or lings. It said to fish areas where there is a tunnel like flow of water under the jettys for sear trout.