What size spinner?

C
chinookless
Hey folks,

New to the area originally from Arkansas. I was on the Willamette today in Eugene and was using a fairly small orange gold spinner. I hooked up twice and only landed one, which turned out to be a small mountain white fish, nevertheless, it was nice to feel the bite of a fish. So, my question is what size spinners and color works best for the summer steelies? I am sure this question has been asked before multiple times, so I ask you to forgive my ignorance.

-Chinookless

hobster
hobster
For this low water i'd use a size 3 for steelies, maybe 4 at the biggest.

S
sapo
Yepp, or you could try 2/5 oz spoons, maybe heavier if you're fishing the willy

R
rippin fish lips
8- 10lb test lines. Spinners in the 3's 4's and 5's. I toss 5's year round with good success. 4's would be a GREAT size to toss this year. with the 3's, you will catch a lot of other fish inbetween steelhead. and you will catch more steelhead with 4's and 5's. 2/5 oz spoons are perfect for that system. Remember with spoons.. you can jump your line up to 10lb 12lb and even go to 15lb. I personally never go above 12lb.

Fish see these colors the most compared to any other color on any givin day and time of the day. Blue, Green, Purple, White and Reds.

Fish on. Fish em slow and deep and remember 4's will catch you more steelhead then 3's :p

C
chinookless
Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated.

-chinookless

hobster
hobster
rippin fish lips said:
8- 10lb test lines. Spinners in the 3's 4's and 5's. I toss 5's year round with good success. 4's would be a GREAT size to toss this year. with the 3's, you will catch a lot of other fish inbetween steelhead. and you will catch more steelhead with 4's and 5's. 2/5 oz spoons are perfect for that system. Remember with spoons.. you can jump your line up to 10lb 12lb and even go to 15lb. I personally never go above 12lb.

Fish see these colors the most compared to any other color on any givin day and time of the day. Blue, Green, Purple, White and Reds.

Fish on. Fish em slow and deep and remember 4's will catch you more steelhead then 3's :p

When it come to spinners/spoons this dude is the man ^^^^^ . Good advice here

C
chinookless
hobster said:
When it come to spinners/spoons this dude is the man ^^^^^ . Good advice here

I am heading out to the Wilson tomorrow morning early, I will let yall know if i hook up. Has anyone had any luck out there?------I agree hobster his intel was on point.

-Chinookless

T
tribfisherpdx
I would use size 5 I've caught tons of steelhead and nooks this year on them 4s for slower water can help tho

S
stinger believer
Try black, black over black, black with a black blade, and maybe even a solid black...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
chinookless said:
I am heading out to the Wilson tomorrow morning early, I will let yall know if i hook up. Has anyone had any luck out there?------I agree hobster his intel was on point.

-Chinookless

I'd be throwing #1 and #2 in black on the Wilson. Tough fishing in the low water (and doesn't appear to have many fish to begin with).

C
chinookless
DrTheopolis said:
I'd be throwing #1 and #2 in black on the Wilson. Tough fishing in the low water (and doesn't appear to have many fish to begin with).

Well went out to the Wilson, couldn't get into much of the lower half of the river due to not having a boat. I took yall's advice and used different size spinners. I only managed to hook into one small cutthroat trout. Like you said Doc, the water was way too low and I saw little to no fish. Can I use spinners for trout on the Trask, or are the gear restrictions for all angling?

-Chinookless

D
DrTheopolis
The gear restrictions are only on about a 2 mile stretch of river, on the middle section. And the gear restrictions apply to all species.