Rock fish

R
rippin fish lips
Went rock fishing for a bit today for the first time off the jetty. What a nice change of pace from chasing non existent summer steelhead and gettin a few springers. Today, i hooked a nice fish. this sucker was powerful, heavy and did not like my hook set. It took off strait out of the rocks and just kept on going. We had jig heads with thin wire hooks in them (not so good) =/ which was the reason to why i lossed todays fish=/ We were just messing around on the coast and thought wed try for some rock fish off the jetty. What a fun relaxing way to fish.

Now Give me your tips!!:D

E
eugene1
Use bigger hooks buddy!

LOL,

Glad you got out to the coast,

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
What Jetty?

R
rippin fish lips
Went fishing again off the jetty yesterday. GREAT DAY! Missed a number of fish and landed 4! 3 Lings and one Cabby. Took home 1 ling. Used a 3/4oz jig head with 3" and 5" FAT curley tailed grubs! Jigged/retrieved just above the rocks!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, nice to hear there are lings OFF the jetty, how long was the keeper?

R
rippin fish lips
rogerdodger said:
excellent, nice to hear there are lings OFF the jetty, how long was the keeper?

He was on the small side at 23" Had to take him :p First ling and first time eating it. Pretty darn good!!! Got to say i am hooked now.

E
eugene1
Ling's are good eating white-fleshed fish unless they are blue or green, but they are all good.

:thumb:

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Cabbies are closed till July and I was crabbing at the Florence crab dock yesterday and saw a guy with 20 frozen trout he was using for bait nearly get a big fine! When in season I get nice cabs close to home thats all I will say!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Blue or green surely you jest!

J
JeannaJigs
Blue fleshed lings are a trip, but they taste the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
for those curious, here is an image of the blue/green flesh color that some Lings have...

Last edited by a moderator:
4labs
4labs
Great job!!!!!! Think about taking a long gaff with you also.I've lost some good size lings trying to pull'em up.And get some pics.Not many of use can still jump from rock to rock on the jettys.

R
rippin fish lips
4labs said:
Great job!!!!!! Think about taking a long gaff with you also.I've lost some good size lings trying to pull'em up.And get some pics.Not many of use can still jump from rock to rock on the jettys.

Haha!! I will have to dig up a video of my last Ling cod jetty trip. Got a bigger ling,, ended up losing it, it was laying on it's side folded over, not moving, gill plte wide open. Took a hop down, reached down and grabbed the fish in the gills. Pulleed him up b ut thought i was going swimming. gunna look at some gaffs today

R
rippin fish lips
rogerdodger said:
for those curious, here is an image of the blue/green flesh color that some Lings have...

All mine have been Blue fleshed so far. Mainly because im fishing rocky/sandy out croppings with kelp beds along them

Y
YoungWig
I'm heading to the Barview Jetty just North of Tillamook this weekend. Do you recommend jigging off the rocks or using sand shrimp on the bottom? Any tips would be great.

S
SailCat
I didn't see it mentioned but the green or blue flesh of lings (and that of similarly-hued kelp greenling) turns pure white when cooked. As Jeanna mentioned, there is no difference in taste which is excellent. I have heard of a steelheaders trading one of his fish for a fresh caught ling. Yeah, they're that tasty.

D
Denduran87
Everyone tells me that ling is the best but I really think blacks are my favorite. You can cook them any way and they are good, even after freezing for 6 months. Don't get me wrong ling cod is still very good.

R
rippin fish lips
Denduran87 said:
Everyone tells me that ling is the best but I really think blacks are my favorite. You can cook them any way and they are good, even after freezing for 6 months. Don't get me wrong ling cod is still very good.

I'd say it like this... Fried up... Ling Cod is perfect for that. Fish and Chips. You can cook a any fish how ever you want. But it's how you cook it and what you cook it with is whats going to make the difference and also how quick the fish was put on ice. Ling meat is a delacate meat which makes it perfect for frying. But Black bass... Those Fish are tasty as eve can be, They have more flavour (to me) and are the perfec fish to use as an entre in a meal. I like to Pan fry them in Salt and Pepper with some Garlic and little but of REAL butter.

I also think lings have that same Texture of Dungenous Crab!

R
rippin fish lips
YoungWig said:
I'm heading to the Barview Jetty just North of Tillamook this weekend. Do you recommend jigging off the rocks or using sand shrimp on the bottom? Any tips would be great.

3/4oz Jig heads on a long shanked hook. Put some 3" or 4" grubs on this 3/4oz one (curley tailed FAT GRUBS) The next size jig head you should have is a 1oz jig head and put a 4"-5" fat grub on that. Basicly you want multiple sized jig heads and multiple of each one. If the 1oz is the hot choice and is catching fish, you sure dont want to run out. Fish anywhere from 3/4oz jig heads to 2 oz jig heads. Chances are you may catch a ling or two with the bigger grubs.

The smaller 3" grubs on a 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz jig heads will catch anything that is hungry or pissed off enough to bit it. Lings like to hold on the edge of the rocks where the sandy bottom meats the end of the jetties ;) If your into bait fishing, bring some Sand shrimp Probably... Catch a lot of Blacks.

Tip.... Lings don't like a dead bait (it has to be moving) So don't be afraid to jig agressivly, 7 o clock to 11 oc lock, then drop it to bottom, pop it from 7- 11 clock.. let if fall while slowly realing in... Hold on tight and be ready. If your nto on point or ready, you will miss your bites :p

Y
YoungWig
Thanks Rippin Fish Lips. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow work the incoming tides. Hopefully it all goes to plan.