Tackle advice

S
sleepyogre
So I am heading out for a combo rock fish/salmon trip on the 4th of July. We are going out of Newport. The charter supplies tackle and rods, but I wanted to bring my own if possible. I was just wondering what type of rods to bring. I have 8' 15-40lb rod with an Avet MXJ reel spooled up with 50lb braid and a 30lb mono topshot on it that I was thinking of using for the rock fishing. And then for the salmon, I have a 10-20lb 7' 6" rod with an Abu Garcia Revo Toro spooled up with 50lb braid. This is what I would of used offshore in Southern California, I am just wondering if it is overkill for out here. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chromatose
Chromatose
Personally I never take fishing gear on a off shore charter. I do however take Eats, Drinks, and a great big back pack for all the feeesh I get to bring home. Good Luck and have a Blast!

troutdude
troutdude
If they are provided, in your price tag for the trip, why bother taking your own gear?

S
sleepyogre
I am a left handed angler and I love fishing conventional and bait casting reels. Reeling in a reel with my right hand feels very wrong. I learned to not expect the world to conform to my left handedness (I am in my right mind after all). And if I have it, why not use it?

troutdude
troutdude
Ah 10-4. I'd bet, though, that they have gear for lefties too. I'm a righty; but my first rig was left handed. So that's how I learned...casting with my right, but reeling with the left. I can't use right-handed gear, to save my life. So, I can relate. I also don't like loading gear up, if it will be provided.

B
Big3d
I too am a righty, but fish lefty! They will probably have your gear. Don't risk your stuff, trust in the charter to provide what you need.

D
DrTheopolis
troutdude said:
I'm a righty; but my first rig was left handed. So that's how I learned...casting with my right, but reeling with the left.

That would be right-handed gear.

And I'd just about not fish, rather than use a right-hand-retrieve... yuk.

R
rippin fish lips
sleepyogre said:
I am a left handed angler and I love fishing conventional and bait casting reels. Reeling in a reel with my right hand feels very wrong. I learned to not expect the world to conform to my left handedness (I am in my right mind after all). And if I have it, why not use it?

Here is a great idea. And most charters and guide can make it happen! tjhey have to be equipped for anything!! Tell them what ou prefer to fish, left handed retreive or right handed. They always have both! That have to adapt to their customers needs.