Why name your boat?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
...it seems that for as long as there have been boats, they have been given names. Not just military or commercial boats, small recreational/fishing boats and kayaks are also often given names by their captains, sometimes just for fun but also for a very functional reason, can you think of what it might be?

B
billfisher
If Momma ain't happy, nobody is. ;)

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
May Day May Day, CG this is the Bahama Mama!!!!!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958 said:
May Day May Day, CG this is the Bahama Mama!!!!!

ding ding ding

while there are plenty of fun reasons to name your boat (fun for kids to help pick the name and put on decals, keep Momma happy, memorial to a family member or friend, link to favorite sports team,...), a very practical one is that you can use the name when calling on Marine radio (although for a May Day call, adding your boat reg. numbers would probably be a good idea...)

without a boat name, people calling the CG can be sort of fun to hear..."hi, uh, this is the blonde guy in a boat in the river, not a big boat, uh, calling the Coast Guard, can I go into the ocean or is the bar restricted?"....as contrasted with "Bahama Mama calling Siuslaw CG on 16 for a bar report, over."....:thumb:

Irishrover
Irishrover
In days past ships had names if for nothing else to distinguish themselves from other vessels. When Portland was a busy merchant port there was a section in the paper called the port calendar. It would list the ships that were to arrive, those in port, and those about to depart.

Port calendar 6/2/2015
Arrivals

Pacific Bear from Yokohama
Java Mail from Manila
M.M. Dant from Hong Kong

In port
Santa Ana Grain Dock
Oregon Mail T-2
Hawaiian Monarch T-4

Departure
Tama Maru to Nagoya
Alaskan Rambler to Seattle
Loyola Victory to Da Nang

There were a lot of merchant seamen in the Portland area. Family members would know which ships there relatives were on and they would keep an eye on the paper for their arrival. Mail was also received by the ships name. The mail would be sent to the shipping line's foreign port agent, addressed to the sailor by the name of the ship he was on. Upon arrival in a foreign port the agent would meet the ship with the mail and orders from the company.

Different shipping companies would name their ships with a certain theme. Pacific Far East lines Golden Bear, Pacific Bear, Java Bear, American Mail Lines Canada Mail, Oregon Mail, Japan Mail, Grace Prudential Lines Santa Ana, Santa Cristo, States Lines Oregon, Washington, Colorado. Matson lines Hawaiian Citizen, Hawaiian Rancher, Hawaiian Farmer and so on. If you knew the ships name you could just about tell which company owned the ship.

For other practical reasons on small boats GaryP1958 nailed it. Hailing other vessels and the Coast Guard in an emergency. That is why when naming a boat it's important to come up with a reasonable name that can roll of your tongue in an emergency. I named my boat Teresa D after my first mate.

Roger thanks for starting this thread it should be a fun one.

Picture SS Permanente Silver Bow owned by Kaiser Permanente Cement company

• 14_0417_01-sm.jpg
Last edited:
Reactions: Raincatcher
plumbertom
plumbertom
I've named all my boats the same. Always call them "Tomfoolery".

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Back in the 80s when I got my first marine radio a FCC license was required and I believe a boat name was a requirement. I dont know about these days a lot of folks on kayaks now a days!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958 said:
Back in the 80s when I got my first marine radio a FCC license was required and I believe a boat name was a requirement. I dont know about these days a lot of folks on kayaks now a days!

no license or boat name required today.

B
Billamicasr
Having owned a few sailing vessels; I’ve had the opportunity to please Poseidon several times by baptizing my boats in a ceremony. It’s best to gather a crowd of friends when doing the ceremony as all will bear witness in the ship log of the naming. Some ships are named after women i.e. Freya, some for objects i.e. Tullimore Dew and some named after men i.e. the Lord Nelson. Many of our naval vessels are named after states i.e the Missouri.

Even today boat naming is considered serious business by otherwise intelligent people. Without a name how will the Gods keep an eye on you to protect you in your journeys?

The ancient Egyptians are credited with popularizing the practice of naming boats, but it was the Babylonians who performed the first recorded boat christening in 300 BC, when an ox was sacrificed to appease the gods.

Later, water was used in order to keep the wine to toast King Neptune and Poseidon. Our own Navy has used the water from important rivers in their naming ceremony; while gathering crowds of people just to watch a big ship run out on the ways and into the water after being christened.

Today there are special scored bottles of bubbly making them easy to break as it is considered a bad omen if the bottle does not break on the first swing. Today’s bottles are encased in a mesh net to keep the glass enclosed and not allow it to get into the water.

There are speeches to Poseidon for those who want to really be on the safe side. There are books and cards available at good marine chandlers which give precise wording to be safe in the naming ceremony; wouldn’t want to upset the sea gods, now would we?

If you buy a boat already named and you wish to change the name that will require a special ceremony to appease Neptune. All material including log books, paperwork, coffee cups and anything else with the old name must first be destroyed. Only then can you ask for good favor from the gods as you rename your boat and be sure if the new name is already on the boat, the name stays covered until the ceremony is completed.

Picking a boat name is just as important as choosing a child’s name, otherwise you may not have fair winds and following seas. The wrong name can bring on the wrath of the Gods when least expected. If you are determined to name or rename a boat I suggest you do a Google search for boat naming ceremony or boat re-naming ceremony as the case may be. Or as mentioned visit a real sailboat chandlery (parts store) and pick up a proper book on the subject. It’s taken very seriously; you will not be laughed at for asking for the book.

Here is a quote from a page on my NoYaks Website about a sailboat I re-named LaLuz:
Most people thought the name LaLuz meant 'The Light' (it's possible). However Luz is a very old Spanish name for a woman of true character. A powerful woman who has no envy of others. She is courageous, proud, stubborn, dependable and very loyal. She is not passive, nor weak, but full of energy; a person to be admired. I could not think of a better name for a sailboat that has always been there to take care of her crew. The Nor'Sea 27 is a capable blue-water sailboat; LaLuz is "The Lady".

I sailed LaLuz in San Francisco Bay and out in the Pacific. It's said if you can sail the Bay, you can sail anywhere; photo on the left with her heeling (tilting) is with reefed mainsail sail in 25 plus knot winds... we were flying.

Side Note: Today the only time a name is required is when you "Document" your vessel with the Coast Guard. Documentation lists your craft in a directory to identify you electronically from other vessels at sea. Mine would have been SV LaLuz (Sailing Vessel) big offshore boats are typically listed as MV "name" (Marine Vessel). Don't know if there are other designations for documented vessels.

Last edited:
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Nice Yatchet!

J
JeannaJigs
It doesn't go to sea, but this is "power bait not allowed"

Hopefully there is never a mayday lol

4114bc1df843caf27bff41fff5d3a53d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

B
Billamicasr
She's beautiful! Great name for a Driftboat. Photos like this one are what make folks want one.
Is that the Deschutes?

J
JeannaJigs
She used to be a hideous blue and white monstrosity, but I completely restored her two summers ago. A 2 week project turned into more like 2.5 months, but was worth it. That photo is from this year's deschutes trip the beginning of may.

my2labs
my2labs
JeannaJigs said:
It doesn't go to sea, but this is "power bait not allowed"

Hopefully there is never a mayday lol

4114bc1df843caf27bff41fff5d3a53d.jpg

This is the first photo I've seen of your boat. It is beautiful! Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishrover
Irishrover
Jeanna.....great photo. Thought you'd name it green drake or green wooly bugger.;)

Billamicasr......Awesome sail boat and story to boot. You'll most likely recognize the bridge in the picture of the SS Permanente Silver Bow. Made quite a few trips from Redwood City on that converted Victory Ship.

B
Billamicasr
OFF has an amazing number of folks who remember the history of watercraft... WOW!

P.s Second Vote for "Green Drake" Should you decide to remane her, please refer to a "proper" re-naming ceremony... LOL!

B
Billamicasr
JeannaJigs... Happened to enlarge your driftboat photo once more.. It is amazing how your DB reflects the scenery of the Deschutes... The green in you boat matches the green of the Deschutes scenery... it's postcard PERFECT!

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Thanks guys for the compliments on the green beast lol. The green was difficult to create, the dark green is standard over the counter forest green something or another marine paint, but I mixed the light green myself using just white marine paint and adding several different tinting solutions until it was "just right". Which means touching it up when that paint runs out or dries up will be impossible, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

After it was all said and done, I realized everyone and their mother thinks it's oregon colors.

I just like green. It's an unfortunate coincidence that oregon ripped off my favorite color :( I bleed orange.