Chrome ducks!!!!

B
bigsteel
Decided to skip the game yesterday and hit the river with lilsalmon,we found some really nice spots but the fishing was slow,after picking up a nice trout we headed to a different stretch where I was just fooling around after seeing 4 or 5 steelhead jump so i tied on a size 16 pheasant tail for $hites and giggles and the 3rd drift through,hammer down,he peeled my line like a madman,my little battenkill was smoking :lol: after about 5 to 10 minutes he tired out and i dragged him onto the bank,as i kneeled down I picked him up and that SOB spit the hook while in my hands.Almost taunting me he rocket out of my hand and returned himself to the river:):) Im glad i finally got out after a few week lull and the steelhead put the icing on the cake for this fall.

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah uh huh....sounds fishy to me.

Haha jk. Glad you got into some chrome instead of watching that lameeeee game. I'd like to get up there and fish for some steel on new water this year, broaden my ever growing horizons.

Reactions: bigsteel
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Way to go after 'em, you two!

O
OnTheFly
A 16? Yikes! That's the kind of stuff I use on those finicky fish on the Fall River. That steelie must have had some good eyesite. Who wudda thunk it. Nice one Dave.

L
lilsalmon
It was a good day to be out. The weather was perfect. Course I got skunked but I did have a hit on my EHC that was a very big fish. Had it on long enough to say "Shirt, Dave, got a big one" and then it was gone. Daves steel was awesome. His rod was bent in half and he thought it was going to break off. I tossed my rod in the grass and headed towards him.....net, must have a net. Anyway, it was a beautiful fish. The color was perfect. Here is a pic of the trout he got prior to the big steel...hehe

6412839791_2eaf5131ff_z.jpg

B
bigsteel
OnTheFly said:
A 16? Yikes! That's the kind of stuff I use on those finicky fish on the Fall River. That steelie must have had some good eyesite. Who wudda thunk it. Nice one Dave.

It was pretty insane for about 5 minutes straight these steelead were taking adult october caddis off the surface

Rose that picked turned out great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L
lilsalmon
I am ready to go back...can you be ready in an hour?

B
bigsteel
lilsalmon said:
I am ready to go back...can you be ready in an hour?

already dressed and ready,,lets roll

R
RunWithSasquatch
Awesome! always a blast to latch into a steelhead! Ive lost a fish or two my self at my feet!

B
bigsteel
RunWithSasquatch said:
Awesome! always a blast to latch into a steelhead! Ive lost a fish or two my self at my feet!

oh man it was kind of heartbreaking to have him jump away but the fight on my 5 weight was what is was all about.

L
lilsalmon
bigsteel said:
already dressed and ready,,lets roll

Ooops...I'm still in my jammies...its Sunday.

JeannaJigs said:
Yeah uh huh....sounds fishy to me.

Haha jk. Glad you got into some chrome instead of watching that lameeeee game. I'd like to get up there and fish for some steel on new water this year, broaden my ever growing horizons.

Wait till you get a steel on a fly rod. We are ready when you are. Course now we got 3 work schedules to contend with.

B
bigsteel
lilsalmon said:

Wait till you get a steel on a fly rod. We are ready when you are. Course now we got 3 work schedules to contend with.

WORK is OVERRATED,,LETS FISH

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice job!!!! pretty fish and a great story.. glad you guys got out

S
Sinkline
Dave, I feel the adrenaline in your words! Cool! :cool:

Randy

J
JeannaJigs
lilsalmon said:

Haha yeah, and my work schedule this month is JACKED. I have different days off each week. GAH! WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO ME! Now I have to THINK about my schedule, I can't just say yep tuesday and wednesday lets go. I know that I DO HAVE A WEEKEND...Not this one but the NEXT one...what say you to that?!

J
JeannaJigs
And I got the 8 weight, but literally, only have tiny little troutsicle flies, and jigs. It's probably not kosher to fling a jig with a fly rod? lol

brandon4455
brandon4455
JeannaJigs said:
And I got the 8 weight, but literally, only have tiny little troutsicle flies, and jigs. It's probably not kosher to fling a jig with a fly rod? lol

plenty of people use very small or micro jigs under a strike indicator for steel. i find nothing wrong with that..i plan on doing it this winter it's just bobber fishing scaled down lol

J
JeannaJigs
brandon4455 said:
plenty of people use very small or micro jigs under a strike indicator for steel. i find nothing wrong with that..i plan on doing it this winter it's just bobber fishing scaled down lol

Yeahhh that's not my style...my name isn't steelhead stalkers.

I'll tie some flies myself or buy some if I get lazy, which is entirely possible.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Thanks goodness! That would be weird! :lol:

I would not recommend a fly rod and indicator for float fishing. Its not the most effective way to float fish especially on smaller coastal rivers where casting room is an issue. Fly rods are great for drift fishing a bead and fly combo though. I have a new 9'6", 7wt fly rod I will be drifting with this winter.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
when casting room is an issue thats where a roll cast or water haul comes in handy, and water hauling is easy with a heavier rig.